Persistence of hepatitis C virus in a white population: associations with human leukocyte antigen class 1.
Access full-text PDFOpen Access
Check access options
Check access options
AffiliationHepatitis C Unit, Department of Medicine, Clinical Sciences Building, Cork, University Hospital, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHDNA/genetics/isolation & purification
Data Interpretation, Statistical
European Continental Ancestry Group/*genetics
Hepatitis C, Chronic/blood/*genetics/immunology
Histocompatibility Antigens Class I/*genetics
Polymerase Chain Reaction
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHum Immunol. 2004 Jul;65(7):745-51.
AbstractThe aim of this study was to define novel associations between human leukocyte antigen (HLA) class 1 alleles and persistence or clearance of the hepatitis C virus (HCV) in a white population. All individuals in the study were seropositive for anti-HCV antibodies. Viral status was determined by the Roche HCV Amplicor test. HLA-A, -B, -C allelic group profile was molecularly defined by reverse line probe hybridization. The strongest individual allelic group associations with persistent HCV infection were HLA A*11 (p = 0.044) and Cw*04 (p = 0.006). However, only the HLA C*04 association survived correction for multiple comparisons. Further analysis of alleles in linkage with HLA Cw*04 revealed that the haplotype HLA A*11, Cw*04 was present in 11 individuals, 10 of whom were viremic (p = 0.05). No gene dosage effect was observed. No association between HLA class 1 allelic groups and aviremia and virus load was evident in this white population. HLA B*44 is associated with low virus load in human immunodeficiency virus disease, but this association was not evident in this HCV-infected population. Novel HLA class 1 alleles associated with persistence of HCV have been identified.
- HLA-Cw*0409N is associated with HLA-A*2301 and HLA-B*4403-carrying haplotypes.
- Authors: Pinto C, Smith AG, Larsen CE, Fernández-Viña M, Husain Z, Clavijo OP, Wang ZC, Nisperos B, Hansen JA, Alper CA, Yunis EJ
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- HLA class I (A, B, C) and class II (DRB1, DQA1, DQB1, DPB1) alleles and haplotypes in the Han from southern China.
- Authors: Trachtenberg E, Vinson M, Hayes E, Hsu YM, Houtchens K, Erlich H, Klitz W, Hsia Y, Hollenbach J
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Genetic variation and hitchhiking between structurally polymorphic Alu insertions and HLA-A, -B, and -C alleles and other retroelements within the MHC class I region.
- Authors: Kulski JK, Shigenari A, Inoko H
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Clearance and persistence of hepatitis C virus in a Tunisian population: association with HLA class I and class II.
- Authors: Ksiaa L, Ayed-Jendoubi S, Sfar I, Gorgi Y, Najjar HA, Abdallah TB, Ayed K
- Issue date: 2007 Summer
- Effect of human leukocyte antigen class I and II alleles on hepatitis C viral load among chronic hepatitis C patients in Southern Taiwan.
- Authors: Tseng KC, Tseng CW, Hsieh YH, Chang CK, Lai NS, Hung TH, Chang TT
- Issue date: 2013 Aug