Atmospheric pressure variations and abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHAortic Aneurysm, Abdominal/*epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2008 Sep;177(3):217-20. Epub 2008 Jun 27.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (RAAA) presents with increased frequency in the winter and spring months. Seasonal changes in atmospheric pressure mirrors this pattern. AIM: To establish if there was a seasonal variation in the occurrence of RAAA and to determine if there was any association with atmospheric pressure changes. METHODS: A retrospective cohort-based study was performed. Daily atmospheric pressure readings for the region were obtained. RESULTS: There was a statistically significant monthly variation in RAAA presentation with 107 cases (52.5%) occurring from November to March. The monthly number of RAAA and the mean atmospheric pressure in the previous month were inversely related (r = -0.752, r (2) = 0.566, P = 0.03), and there was significantly greater daily atmospheric pressure variability on days when patients with RAAA were admitted. CONCLUSION: These findings suggest a relationship between atmospheric pressure and RAAA.
- Periods of low atmospheric pressure are associated with high abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture rates in Northern Ireland.
- Authors: Harkin DW, O'Donnell M, Butler J, Blair PH, Hood JM, Barros D'Sa AA
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Effects of atmospheric pressure dynamics on abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture onset.
- Authors: Opacic D, Ilic N, Sladojevic M, Schönleitner P, Markovic D, Kostic D, Davidovic L
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Seasonality in the incidence of abdominal aortic aneurysm ruptures: a review of eight years.
- Authors: Kurtoğlu M, Yanar H, Aksoy M, Ertekin C, Tunca F, Güloğlu R, Tinay I
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Low atmospheric pressure is associated with rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysms.
- Authors: Bown MJ, McCarthy MJ, Bell PR, Sayers RD
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Atmospheric pressure changes are associated with type A acute aortic dissections and spontaneous abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture in Tuzla Canton.
- Authors: Krdzalic A, Rifatbegovic Z, Krdzalic G, Jahic E, Adam VN, Golic D
- Issue date: 2014