Activated endothelial interleukin-1beta, -6, and -8 concentrations and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression are attenuated by lidocaine.
AffiliationAcademic Department of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, University College,, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Endothelial Cells/drug effects/metabolism
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay
Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1/*biosynthesis
Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/biosynthesis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnesth Analg. 2005 Feb;100(2):409-12.
JournalAnesthesia and analgesia
AbstractEndothelial cells play a key role in ischemia reperfusion injury. We investigated the effects of lidocaine on activated human umbilical vein endothelial cell (HUVEC) interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-6, and IL-8 concentrations and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression. HUVECs were pretreated with different concentrations of lidocaine (0 to 0.5 mg/mL) for 60 min, thereafter tumor necrosis factor-alpha was added at a concentration of 2.5 ng/mL and the cells incubated for 4 h. Supernatants were harvested, and cytokine concentrations were analyzed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Endothelial ICAM-1 expression was analyzed by using flow cytometry. Differences were assessed using analysis of variance and post hoc unpaired Student's t-test where appropriate. Lidocaine (0.5 mg/mL) decreased IL-1beta (1.89 +/- 0.11 versus 4.16 +/- 1.27 pg/mL; P = 0.009), IL-6 (65.5 +/- 5.14 versus 162 +/- 11.5 pg/mL; P < 0.001), and IL-8 (3869 +/- 785 versus 14,961 +/- 406 pg/mL; P < 0.001) concentrations compared with the control. IL-1beta, IL-6, and IL-8 concentrations in HUVECs treated with clinically relevant plasma concentrations of lidocaine (0.005 mg/mL) were similar to control. ICAM-1 expression on lidocaine-treated (0.05 mg/mL) HUVECs was less than on controls (198 +/- 52.7 versus 298 +/- 50.3; Mean Channel Fluorescence; P < 0.001). Activated endothelial IL-1beta, IL-6, and IL-8 concentrations and ICAM-1 expression are attenuated only by lidocaine at concentrations larger than clinically relevant concentrations.
- The effect of lidocaine on neutrophil CD11b/CD18 and endothelial ICAM-1 expression and IL-1beta concentrations induced by hypoxia-reoxygenation.
- Authors: Lan W, Harmon D, Wang JH, Shorten G, Redmond P
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Physiologic concentrations of TNFalpha and IL-1beta released from reperfused human intestine upregulate E-selectin and ICAM-1.
- Authors: Wyble CW, Desai TR, Clark ET, Hynes KL, Gewertz BL
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Differential regulation by IL-4 and IL-10 of radiation-induced IL-6 and IL-8 production and ICAM-1 expression by human endothelial cells.
- Authors: Van Der Meeren A, Squiban C, Gourmelon P, Lafont H, Gaugler MH
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Lycopene inhibits TNF-alpha-induced endothelial ICAM-1 expression and monocyte-endothelial adhesion.
- Authors: Hung CF, Huang TF, Chen BH, Shieh JM, Wu PH, Wu WB
- Issue date: 2008 May 31
- The influence of garlic (Allium sativum) extract on interleukin 1alpha-induced expression of endothelial intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1.
- Authors: Rassoul F, Salvetter J, Reissig D, Schneider W, Thiery J, Richter V
- Issue date: 2006 Mar