AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Ireland. , firstname.lastname@example.org
Hip Dislocation, Congenital/*diagnosis/epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2002 Jul-Sep;171(3):139-40.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: A neonatal screening programme for developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) is ongoing in Cork. Despite early screening, infants continue to present at later ages with DDH. The impact of late diagnosis is significant. Established DDH causes significant morbidity and may have major medicolegal implications. AIM: To identify the reasons for the late presentation of DDH in the presence of a screening programme. METHODS: In a retrospective study all cases of late DDH presenting from 1988 to 2000 were identified using inpatient database. RESULTS: Forty-nine cases of DDH were diagnosed. The mean age of diagnosis was 14.8 months (range 6-47). Multiple risk factors were identified in four patients only. More than one risk factor was identified in 10 patients. CONCLUSION: Despite screening, children continue to present with late DDH. In this study, only 14 patients had multiple risk factors and only four patients had more than two risk factors, highlighting the low incidence of suspicion in this patient group.
- Cochrane Review: Screening programmes for developmental dysplasia of the hip in newborn infants.
- Authors: Shorter D, Hong T, Osborn DA
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- What Risk Factors and Characteristics Are Associated With Late-presenting Dislocations of the Hip in Infants?
- Authors: Mulpuri K, Schaeffer EK, Andrade J, Sankar WN, Williams N, Matheney TH, Mubarak SJ, Cundy PJ, Price CT, IHDI Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Late presentation of developmental dysplasia of the hip : a 15-year observational study.
- Authors: Talbot C, Adam J, Paton R
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Relative Risk and Incidence for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip.
- Authors: Pollet V, Percy V, Prior HJ
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Screening of selected risk factors in developmental dysplasia of the hip: an observational study.
- Authors: Talbot CL, Paton RW
- Issue date: 2013 Sep