Comparison of outcomes following uncemented hemiarthroplasty and dynamic hip screw in the treatment of displaced subcapital hip fractures in patients aged greater than 70 years.
Kennedy, John G
AffiliationCork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip/*methods
Femoral Neck Fractures/*surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Orthop Belg. 2005 Feb;71(1):48-54.
JournalActa orthopaedica Belgica
AbstractAs health care costs increase, evaluating treatment methods in femoral neck fractures to determine the most effective treatment paradigm will become increasingly important. The current study compared two methods of treatment in similar cohorts of displaced femoral neck fractures. One hundred and twenty two patients were randomly assigned to two groups: In Group A, 62 patients were treated with a hemiarthroplasty. In group B, 60 patients were treated with dynamic screw fixation. Patients were evaluated at a minimum 3 year follow-up. Using the Matta functional hip score, 42% of group A and 70% of group B had good to excellent results. This difference was significant (p = 0.004). A significant agreement between physician assessment using the Matta score, and patient perception of outcome using the SF-36 scale was demonstrated (r = 0.64). No statistical difference between groups for revision surgery existed. Both physician based and patient based outcome scores favour retention and internal fixation of the femoral head in this cohort of patients at a short-term follow-up.
- Displaced intracapsular hip fractures in fit, older people: a randomised comparison of reduction and fixation, bipolar hemiarthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: Keating JF, Grant A, Masson M, Scott NW, Forbes JF
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty versus total hip arthroplasty for displaced subcapital fractures of femur--13 year results of a prospective randomised study.
- Authors: Ravikumar KJ, Marsh G
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures: a randomized minimum 5-year follow-up study of screws and bipolar hemiprostheses in 100 patients.
- Authors: Rödén M, Schön M, Fredin H
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Arthroplasty versus internal fixation of femoral neck fractures: a clinical decision analysis.
- Authors: Aleem IS, Karanicolas PJ, Bhandari M
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- Patient satisfaction, pain, and quality of life 4 months after displaced femoral neck fractures: a comparison of 663 fractures treated with internal fixation and 906 with bipolar hemiarthroplasty reported to the Norwegian Hip Fracture Register.
- Authors: Gjertsen JE, Vinje T, Lie SA, Engesaeter LB, Havelin LI, Furnes O, Fevang JM
- Issue date: 2008 Oct