Botulinum toxin for treatment of glandular hypersecretory disorders.
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork,, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Botulinum Toxins, Type A/*therapeutic use
Lacrimal Apparatus Diseases/drug therapy
Rhinitis, Vasomotor/drug therapy
Salivary Gland Diseases/*drug therapy
Sweat Gland Diseases/*drug therapy
Sweating, Gustatory/drug therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008 Sep;61(9):1024-8. Epub 2008 Jul 10.
JournalJournal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery : JPRAS
AbstractSUMMARY: The use of botulinum toxin to treat disorders of the salivary glands is increasing in popularity in recent years. Recent reports of the use of botulinum toxin in glandular hypersecretion suggest overall favourable results with minimal side-effects. However, few randomised clinical trials means that data are limited with respect to candidate suitability, treatment dosages, frequency and duration of treatment. We report a selection of such cases from our own department managed with botulinum toxin and review the current data on use of the toxin to treat salivary gland disorders such as Frey's syndrome, excessive salivation (sialorrhoea), focal and general hyperhidrosis, excessive lacrimation and chronic rhinitis.
- Botulinum toxin treatment of secretory disorders.
- Authors: Naumann M, Jost W
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Botulinum toxin therapy: functional silencing of salivary disorders.
- Authors: Lovato A, Restivo DA, Ottaviano G, Marioni G, Marchese-Ragona R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Reduction of salivary flow with botulinum toxin: extended report on 33 patients with drooling, salivary fistulas, and sialadenitis.
- Authors: Ellies M, Gottstein U, Rohrbach-Volland S, Arglebe C, Laskawi R
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- The use of botulinum toxin in head and neck disorders.
- Authors: Hawthorne MR
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Clinical results in the management of Frey's syndrome with injections of Botulinum toxin.
- Authors: Martos Díaz P, Bances del Castillo R, Mancha de la Plata M, Naval Gías L, Martínez Nieto C, Lee GY, Muñoz Guerra M
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 1