AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., email@example.com
Anti-Inflammatory Agents/*therapeutic use
Diabetic Retinopathy/*drug therapy/pathology/physiopathology
Macular Edema/*drug therapy/pathology/physiopathology
Triamcinolone Acetonide/*therapeutic use
Visual Acuity/drug effects
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEye (Lond). 2006 Jun;20(6):720-4. Epub 2005 Jul 8.
JournalEye (London, England)
AbstractAIM: To evaluate the efficacy of intravitreal triamcinolone (IVTA) for the treatment of diffuse diabetic macular oedema (DME) refractory to conventional argon macular laser therapy. METHODS: A prospective, consecutive, and noncomparative case series was undertaken involving 38 eyes of 38 patients with refractory DME. Triamcinolone acetonide (4 mg) in 0.1 ml was injected intravitreally. LogMar visual acuity (VA) and macular thickness measured by ocular coherence tomography (OCT) were assessed preoperatively and postoperatively at 1, 3, and 6 months. RESULTS: All patients completed 6 months of follow up. VA (mean+/-SD) improved from 0.905+/-0.23 to 0.605+/-0.28, 0.555+/-0.29, and 0.730+/-0.30 at 1, 3, and 6 months, respectively. Macular thickness baseline (mean+/-SD) on OCT was 418.7+/-104.2 microm and this decreased to 276.9+/-72.6 microm, 250.6+/-53.1 microm, and 308.8+/-87.3 microm at 1, 3, and 6 months, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: IVTA may be a potential temporary treatment for refractory DME. It is effective in decreasing macular thickness and improving VA but the effect lasts approximately for 6 months in the majority of patients. Further investigations are required to establish the safety of IVTA for the treatment of DME.
- [Triamcinolone in the treatment of the diabetic macular edema--one-year results].
- Authors: Dusová J, Studnicka J, Rencová E, Korda V, Hejcmanová D
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Intravitreal triamcinolone for the treatment of refractory diabetic macular oedema with hard exudates: an optical coherence tomography study.
- Authors: Ciardella AP, Klancnik J, Schiff W, Barile G, Langton K, Chang S
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Intravitreal triamcinolone improves vision in eyes with chronic diabetic macular oedema refractory to laser photocoagulation.
- Authors: Negi AK, Vernon SA, Lim CS, Owen-Armstrong K
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Posterior subtenon and intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide for diabetic macular edema.
- Authors: Ozdek S, Bahçeci UA, Gürelik G, Hasanreisoğlu B
- Issue date: 2006 Jul-Aug
- Intravitreal triamcinolone as a primary therapy in diabetic macular oedema.
- Authors: Karacorlu M, Ozdemir H, Karacorlu S, Alacali N, Mudun B, Burumcek E
- Issue date: 2005 Apr