Pelvic girdle sepsis in childhood. An illustrative case of the difficulty in diagnosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Combined Modality Therapy
Drug Therapy, Combination/therapeutic use
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Severity of Illness Index
Soft Tissue Infections/*diagnosis/therapy
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Orthop Belg. 2005 Jun;71(3):361-5.
JournalActa orthopaedica Belgica
AbstractThe child who presents with fever, limp and hip pain will often undergo multiple diagnostic procedures before a definitive diagnosis is made. We describe a diagnostically challenging case of a 14-year-old boy presenting with an atraumatic painful limp and pyrexia. Eventually the diagnosis of obturator internus muscle abscess with associated ischial osteomyelitis was made. Of the 19 previous cases reported, four children had associated osteomyelitis and were of an older age. Symptomatology varies, clinical examination is non-specific and the diagnosis can be difficult. Haematological indices are more predictive than in cases of classical osteomyelitis or septic arthritis. Subtle features on conventional radiography and isotope bone scanning should not be overlooked while CT and MRI may be complementary in diagnosis.
- Obturator internus muscle abscess in children: report of seven cases and review.
- Authors: Viani RM, Bromberg K, Bradley JS
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Abscess formation in the prevesical space and bilateral thigh muscles secondary to osteomyelitis of the pubis--basis of the anatomy between the prevesical space and femoral sheath.
- Authors: Yoshida S, Nakagomi K, Goto S
- Issue date: 2004
- Obturator internus muscle abscess in a child: a case report.
- Authors: Bansal M, Bhaliak V, Bruce CE
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Primary obturator externus pyomyositis in a child presenting as hip pain: a case report.
- Authors: Kumar A, Anderson D
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Staphylococcus aureus pericardial abscess presenting as a localized bulge of the heart contour.
- Authors: van de Donk NW, Meijer RC, America YG, Cramer MJ
- Issue date: 2010 May