Changing trends in the management of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis--an audit over 11 years.
AffiliationDept. of Radiology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Patient Care Management/trends
Pyloric Stenosis, Hypertrophic/*diagnosis/radiography/ultrasonography
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2005 Apr-Jun;174(2):33-5.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: This article is a follow-up to an audit performed by the Department of Surgery and published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science in 1996. This audit reviewed all cases of Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis (IHPS) operated on over 22 years up to 1991. AIMS: We aim to demonstrate that radiologic investigations, namely barium meal and ultrasound, have been increasingly employed in the diagnosis of IHPS. In addition, ultrasound is now the investigation of choice. METHODS: We have reviewed all cases of IHPS, at the same institution, over the subsequent 11 years, with reference to any radiological investigations performed. In the previous study, the diagnosis of IHPS was made clinically in 92.6% with the remainder diagnosed radiologically. RESULTS: Over 11 years, 157 patients were diagnosed with IHPS. Male to female ratio was 4.06:1. Median age was four weeks (range 1-18 weeks).Twenty-four per cent had a barium meal, 36% had an ultrasound and 13% had both performed. CONCLUSION: We conclude a change in practice in the management of IHPS with radiology, particularly ultrasound, playing an increasing role.
- Gastric foveolar cell hyperplasia and its role in postoperative vomiting in patients with infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.
- Authors: Tan HL, Blythe A, Kirby CP, Gent R
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Role of ultrasonography in early diagnosis of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.
- Authors: Khan AA, Yousaf MA, Ashraf M
- Issue date: 2014 Jul-Sep
- Efficacy of Medical Treatment for Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis: A Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Wu SF, Lin HY, Huang FK, Chen AC, Su BH, Li CI, Lin HC
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- [Imaging diagnosis of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: report of a case and review of the literature].
- Authors: Roldán-Valadez E, Solórzano-Morales S, Osorio-Peralta S
- Issue date: 2007 Apr-Jun
- Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis before 3 weeks of age in infants and preterm babies.
- Authors: Huang IF, Tiao MM, Chiou CC, Shih HH, Hu HH, Ruiz JP
- Issue date: 2011 Feb