Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry analysis of peri-prosthetic stress shielding in the Birmingham resurfacing hip replacement.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, The Mews, 61, Serpentine Ave, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip/*instrumentation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationArch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005 Dec;125(10):693-5. Epub 2005 Oct 20.
JournalArchives of orthopaedic and trauma surgery
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Numerous reports in the literature refer to the femoral neck fracture rate in hip resurfacing. The aim of this study was to determine the bone mineral density and evidence of stress shielding around the femoral component of the Birmingham resurfacing prosthesis. MATERIAL AND METHODS: Twenty-eight patients with primary unilateral osteoarthritis had a Birmingham resurfacing prosthesis. DEXA analysis of the proximal femur and femoral neck was performed and compared with the opposite unaffected side. RESULTS: Total periprosthetic bone mineral density was 0.49% greater than the control, but this did not achieve statistical significance. Although the BMD of the femoral neck was slightly increased on the prosthetic side (1.002 g/cm2) as opposed to the control side, this difference did not reach statistical significance. CONCLUSION: The Birmingham resurfacing prosthesis does not appear to reduce femoral neck bone mineral density in comparison to the normal femoral neck bone density. We conclude that femoral neck fractures are unlikely to be due to stress shielding related to the prosthesis.
- Bone mineral density in the femoral neck increases after hip resurfacing: a cohort with five-year follow-up.
- Authors: Willis-Owen CA, Atkinson HD, Oakeshott RD
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Hip resurfacing femoral neck fracture influenced by valgus placement.
- Authors: Anglin C, Masri BA, Tonetti J, Hodgson AJ, Greidanus NV
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Femoral neck bone mineral density after resurfacing hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: Tapaninen T, Kröger H, Jurvelin J, Venesmaa P
- Issue date: 2012
- Equal Primary Fixation of Resurfacing Stem, but Inferior Cup Fixation With Anterolateral vs Posterior Surgical Approach. A 2-Year Blinded Randomized Radiostereometric and Dual-energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Study of Metal-on-Metal Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty.
- Authors: Hjorth MH, Lorenzen ND, Søballe K, Jakobsen SS, Stilling M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Maintenance of bone mineral density after implantation of a femoral neck hip prosthesis.
- Authors: Decking R, Rokahr C, Zurstegge M, Simon U, Decking J
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 31