The incidence of postoperative venous thrombosis among patients with ulcerative colitis.
AffiliationDept of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2005 Jul-Sep;174(3):20-2.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Patients with Ulcerative Colitis (UC) have inherent prothrombotic tendencies. It is unknown whether this necessitates the use of additional perioperative anti-thrombotic prophylaxis when such patients require major surgery. METHODS: The postoperative courses of 79 patients with UC undergoing 180 major abdominal and pelvic operations were examined for clinical and radiological evidence of venous thrombosis. Eighteen patients with Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) having surgery (35 operations) of similar magnitude were also studied. Standard anti-thrombosis prophylaxis was utilised in all patients. RESULTS: Nine patients with UC were clinically suspected of developing postoperative venous thrombosis, but only three (3.8%) had their diagnosis confirmed radiologically (all had a pulmonary embolus). Therefore, the overall postoperative thrombosis rate, on an intention to treat basis, was 1.7% (3/180). No patient with FAP developed significant venous thrombosis. CONCLUSION: Standard perioperative antithrombotic modalities are sufficient to maintain any potential increase in postoperative thrombotic risk at an acceptable level in patients with UC undergoing operative intervention.
- Intra-abdominal venous thrombosis after colectomy in pediatric patients with chronic ulcerative colitis: incidence, treatment, and outcomes.
- Authors: Antiel RM, Hashim Y, Moir CR, Rodriguez V, Elraiyah T, Zarroug AE
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Prevalence and risk factors for venous thromboembolic complications in the Swiss Inflammatory Bowel Disease Cohort.
- Authors: Alatri A, Schoepfer A, Fournier N, Engelberger RP, Safroneeva E, Vavricka S, Biedermann L, Calanca L, Mazzolai L, Swiss IBD Cohort Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Cerebral venous thrombosis revealing an ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Taous A, Berri MA, Lamsiah T, Zainoun B, Ziadi T, Rouimi A
- Issue date: 2016
- Intestinal pouch complications in patients who underwent restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis in 1985-2008.
- Authors: Burdyński R, Banasiewicz T, Marciniak R, Biczysko M, Szmeja J, Paszkowski J, Grochowalski M, Maik J, Majewski P, Krokowicz P, Drews M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Joint symptoms after restorative proctocolectomy in ulcerative colitis and familial polyposis coli.
- Authors: Andreyev HJ, Kamm MA, Forbes A, Nicholls RJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jul