Clinical neurophysiology referral patterns to a tertiary hospital--a prospective audit.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurophysiology, Cork University Hospital, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Diagnostic Techniques, Neurological/*utilization
Physician's Practice Patterns/*statistics & numerical data
Referral and Consultation/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2004 Oct-Dec;173(4):211-4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cork University Hospital (CUH) provides a tertiary service for all neurophysiology referrals in the Southern Health Board region. AIM: To ascertain the number, source, symptoms and diagnosis of neurophysiology referrals at CUH. METHODS: We did a prospective audit of the referral patterns to the neurophysiology department over a 12 -week period. RESULTS: Of 635 referrals, 254 had electromyograms (EMG), 359 had electro-encephalograms (EEG), 18 had visual evoked potentials (VEP), three had somato-sensory evoked potentials (SSEP) and one had multiple sleep latency tests (MSLT). We analysed the demographic pattern, reason for referrals, the average waiting time for neurophysiology tests and the patterns of diagnosis in this audit. CONCLUSIONS: Patients from County Cork are making more use of the neurophysiology services than patients from other counties within the Southern Health Board. The average waiting time for an EEG was 32 days and for an EMG was 74 days. However, more than 35% of those patients waiting for an EEG or an EMG had their tests done within four weeks of referral. The appointments of EEG and EMG were assigned on the basis of clinical need.
- Audit of general practitioner referrals to an acute surgical unit.
- Authors: Dookeran KA, Thompson MM, Lloyd DM, Everson NW
- Issue date: 1992 May
- How well is peripheral neuropathy investigated? An audit from a regional neurophysiology department.
- Authors: Murphy S, McNamara B
- Issue date: 2006 Jan-Mar
- Causes of Missed Referrals to Low-Vision Rehabilitation Services: Causes in a Tertiary Eye Care Setting.
- Authors: Kumar H, Monira S, Rao A
- Issue date: 2016
- Outcomes of referrals from general practice.
- Authors: Haikio JP, Linden K, Kvist M
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Community resources for psychiatric and psychosocial problems. Family physicians' referral patterns in urban Ontario.
- Authors: Craven MA, Allen CJ, Kates N
- Issue date: 1995 Aug