Prostaglandin E2 stimulates Fas ligand expression via the EP1 receptor in colon cancer cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, University College Cork, National University of Ireland, , Clinical Science Building, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Cell Line, Tumor
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay
Fas Ligand Protein/genetics/*metabolism
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Receptors, Prostaglandin E/*metabolism
Receptors, Prostaglandin E, EP1 Subtype
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Cancer. 2008 Aug 5;99(3):502-12. Epub 2008 Jul 22.
JournalBritish journal of cancer
AbstractFas ligand (FasL/CD95L) is a member of the tumour necrosis factor superfamily that triggers apoptosis following crosslinking of the Fas receptor. Despite studies strongly implicating tumour-expressed FasL as a major inhibitor of the anti-tumour immune response, little is known about the mechanisms that regulate FasL expression in tumours. In this study, we show that the cyclooxygenase (COX) signalling pathway, and in particular prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)), plays a role in the upregulation of FasL expression in colon cancer. Suppression of either COX-2 or COX-1 by RNA interference in HCA-7 and HT29 colon tumour cells reduced FasL expression at both the mRNA and protein level. Conversely, stimulation with PGE(2) increased FasL expression and these cells showed increased cytotoxicity against Fas-sensitive Jurkat T cells. Prostaglandin E(2)-induced FasL expression was mediated by signalling via the EP1 receptor. Moreover, immunohistochemical analysis using serial sections of human colon adenocarcinomas revealed a strong positive correlation between COX-2 and FasL (r=0.722; P<0.0001) expression, and between EP1 receptor and FasL (r=0.740; P<0.0001) expression, in the tumour cells. Thus, these findings indicate that PGE(2) positively regulates FasL expression in colon tumour cells, adding another pro-neoplastic activity to PGE(2).
- Retinoic acid morpholine amide (RAMA) inhibits expression of Fas ligand through EP1 receptor in colon cancer cells.
- Authors: Chen SX, Du SY, Wang YT, Zhao HC, Zhang YL, Yao L
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Inflammation and apoptosis in Clostridium difficile enteritis is mediated by PGE2 up-regulation of Fas ligand.
- Authors: Kim H, Rhee SH, Pothoulakis C, Lamont JT
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Prostaglandin E2 upregulates survivin expression via the EP1 receptor in hepatocellular carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Bai XM, Jiang H, Ding JX, Peng T, Ma J, Wang YH, Zhang L, Zhang H, Leng J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 30
- Targeting the EP1 receptor reduces Fas ligand expression and increases the antitumor immune response in an in vivo model of colon cancer.
- Authors: O'Callaghan G, Ryan A, Neary P, O'Mahony C, Shanahan F, Houston A
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 15
- The EP4 receptor antagonist, L-161,982, blocks prostaglandin E2-induced signal transduction and cell proliferation in HCA-7 colon cancer cells.
- Authors: Cherukuri DP, Chen XB, Goulet AC, Young RN, Han Y, Heimark RL, Regan JW, Meuillet E, Nelson MA
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15