AffiliationDepartment of Neurosurgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Eire.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Neurosurg. 2005 Oct;19(5):413-5.
JournalBritish journal of neurosurgery
AbstractCertain aneurysms of the anterior circulation continue to offer a technical challenge for safe exposure and clipping. The purpose of this paper was to describe the cranio-orbital approach for surgical clipping of complex aneurysms and to evaluate prospectively the associated complications of this approach. Prospective audit of all patients undergoing cranio-orbital approach for aneurysm surgery from 1997 to 2004 by the senior author. Twenty-five patients, eight male and 17 female, median age of 52 years, range 28-73. All patients had a standard pterional approach supplemented by an orbital osteotomy. In the 7-year period 367 patients underwent treatment for their aneurysms (169 clipped and 198 coiled). Of the 169 patients who were operated on, 29 had a skull base approach, of which 25 were cranio-orbital. The aneurysm location was as follows: 16 middle cerebral artery (MCA), three carotid bifurcation, four anterior communicating artery (ACOMM), one ophthalmic and one basilar. There were no approach-related complications. The cranio-orbital craniotomy can be a useful adjunct in the surgical treatment of giant or complex aneurysms. It offers the following advantages over a standard pterional approach: reduces operative distance; allows easy splitting of the sylvian fissure; and provides a wide arc of exposure with multiple working corridors.
- [Microsurgical treatment of complex intracranial aneurysms via keyhole approaches].
- Authors: Lan Q, Chen J, Qian ZY, Zhang QB, Huang Q
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 3
- A pterion keyhole approach for the treatment of anterior circulation aneurysms.
- Authors: Cheng WY, Lee HT, Sun MH, Shen CC
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Plical resection in pre-temporal approach for basilar bifurcation aneurysms: preliminary surgical experience and cadaveric study.
- Authors: Kikuta KI, Yamagata S, Arakawa Y, Hojo M, Ishii A, Nozaki K, Hashimoto N
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Supraorbital eyebrow minicraniotomy for anterior circulation aneurysms.
- Authors: Mitchell P, Vindlacheruvu RR, Mahmood K, Ashpole RD, Grivas A, Mendelow AD
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Neurosurgical management of previously coiled recurrent intracranial aneurysms.
- Authors: König RW, Kretschmer T, Antoniadis G, Seitz K, Braun V, Richter HP, Perez de Laborda M, Scheller C, Börm W
- Issue date: 2007 Feb