Volar dislocation of the index carpometacarpal joint in association with a Bennett's fracture of the thumb: a rare injury pattern.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Co. Cork, Ireland. , firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEmerg Med J. 2006 Mar;23(3):e23.
JournalEmergency medicine journal : EMJ
AbstractWe describe a case of volar dislocation of the index carpometacarpal (CMC) joint in association with a Bennett's fracture of the thumb following a motorcycle accident. Volar dislocation of the index carpometacarpal joint is an exceedingly rare but easily missed injury, with only a few reported cases in the literature. This report highlights the importance of a true lateral radiograph and close scrutiny of the film to detect this injury. Closed reduction supplemented with Kirschner wire fixation restored normal anatomical relations and achieved an excellent clinical result.
- Fractures of the basal joint of the thumb.
- Authors: Howard FM
- Issue date: 1987 Jul
- [Closed reduction and percutaneous K-wire fixation of Bennett's fracture dislocation].
- Authors: Lutz M, Angermann P, Sailer R, Kathrein A, Gabl M, Pechlaner S
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- [Dislocation of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb associated with trapezium and Bennett's fractures].
- Authors: Shimi M, El Ibrahimi A, El Mrini A
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Fractures and dislocations of the base of the thumb.
- Authors: Kahler DM
- Issue date: 1995 Spring
- Percutaneous leverage pinning in the treatment of Bennett's fracture.
- Authors: Sawaizumi T, Nanno M, Nanbu A, Ito H
- Issue date: 2005