The impact of ice-skating injuries on orthopaedic admissions in a regional hospital.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork., firstname.lastname@example.org
Length of Stay/statistics & numerical data
Patient Admission/*statistics & numerical data
Sick Leave/statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2006 Jan;99(1):7-8.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSince the opening of a temporary ice-rink in our hospital's catchment area, we have observed an increase in patients requiring in-patient treatment for orthopaedic intervention. The authors performed a prospective analysis of all patients admitted to our unit over a one-month period. Epidemiological data, wearing of protective gear and skater experience were collected. Fracture type, treatment required, average length of hospital stay and number of days missed from work was also recorded. Ice-skating injuries accounted for 7.7% of our total admissions over the study period. There was a significant variation noted in the types of fracture sustained ranging from comminuted fractures of the radial head to spiral fractures of the tibia. The average length of hospital stay was 2.6 days and average time missed from work was 6.1 weeks. This paper highlights the potential serious injuries that can occur in ice-skating and their impact on admissions to our orthopaedic unit.
- The impact of a temporary ice-rink on an emergency department service.
- Authors: Clarke HJ, Ryan D, Cullen I, Cusack S
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Impact of dedicated skate parks on the severity and incidence of skateboard- and rollerblade-related pediatric fractures.
- Authors: Sheehan E, Mulhall KJ, Kearns S, O'Connor P, McManus F, Stephens M, McCormack D
- Issue date: 2003 Jul-Aug
- [Are ice-skating ramps dangerous?].
- Authors: Wiborg MH, Hamming MB
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 20
- Injuries sustained at a temporary ice-skating rink: prospective study of the Winchester experience 2007-2008.
- Authors: Kelsall NK, Bowyer GW
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Skating on thin ice: a study of the injuries sustained at a temporary ice skating rink.
- Authors: Barr LV, Imam S, Crawford JR, Owen PJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun