Co-immunotherapy with interleukin-2 and taurolidine for progressive metastatic melanoma.
AffiliationDept of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital and NUI.
Skin Neoplasms/*drug therapy/*secondary
Taurine/*analogs & derivatives/therapeutic use
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2006 Jan-Mar;175(1):10-4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Recombinant interleukin-2(rIL-2) therapy in metastatic melanoma is limited by toxicities, particularly vascular leak syndrome(VLS). Taurolidine potentiates the anti-neoplastic effects of IL-2 while reducing its associated endothelial cell dysfunction in experimental settings. We hypothesized that co-administration of rIL-2 with taurolidine could enhance tolerability without weakening effectiveness. METHODS: Eleven patients with progressive metastatic melanoma received high-dose rIL-2 with co-infusion of taurolidine. Patients were monitored for the development of toxicities and evidence of response. RESULTS: Ten patients tolerated twenty-nine courses of high-dose rIL-2 without dose-reduction. Most toxicities were low-grade. No patient developed VLS. Seven patients died from disease progression. Two had complete clinical and radiological responses to treatment. Two patients remain alive despite evidence of disease progression a mean of 17.5 months after diagnosing metastatic disease. CONCLUSION: Co-administration of taurolidine with high-dose rIL-2 in stage IV melanoma patients appears to greatly enhance the tolerability of this regime without diminishing its therapeutic value.
- The antibacterial substance, taurolidine in the second/third-line treatment of very advanced stage IV melanoma including brain metastases: results of a phase 2, open-label study.
- Authors: Imhof L, Goldinger SM, Baumann K, Schad K, French LE, Röthlisberger P, Dummer R
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Taurolidine induces apoptosis of murine melanoma cells in vitro and in vivo by modulation of the Bcl-2 family proteins.
- Authors: Sun BS, Wang JH, Liu LL, Gong SL, Redmond HP
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 1
- A phase II study of the administration of recombinant interleukin 2 (rIL-2) plus lymphokine activated killer (LAK) cells in stage IV melanoma patients.
- Authors: Cascinelli N, Belli F, Marchini S, Marolda R, Prada A, Sciorelli G, Villani F, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Galazka A, Parmiani G
- Issue date: 1989 Jun 30
- Potentiation of the therapeutic index of interleukin-2 immunotherapy by combination with taurine in a syngeneic murine tumour model.
- Authors: Finnegan N, Toomey D, Condron C, Redmond HP, Da Costa M, Bouchier-Hayes DJ
- Issue date: 2002 Apr-Jun
- Temozolomide followed by combined immunotherapy with GM-CSF, low-dose IL2 and IFN alpha in patients with metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: de Gast GC, Batchelor D, Kersten MJ, Vyth-Dreese FA, Sein J, van de Kasteele WF, Nooijen WJ, Nieweg OE, de Waal MA, Boogerd W
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 27