The polymerase chain reaction and its application to clinical plastic surgery.
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Head and Neck Neoplasms/surgery
Polymerase Chain Reaction/*methods
Reconstructive Surgical Procedures/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006;59(2):113-21.
JournalJournal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery : JPRAS
AbstractMolecular biology has become an essential component in many fields of modern medical research, including plastic surgery. Research into the molecular mechanisms underlying many disease processes offer increased understanding of the pathogenesis of disease and provide exciting therapeutic possibilities. Yet for many clinicians, the presentation of much research into molecular biological processes is couched in confusing terminology and based on scientific techniques, the basis of which are frequently difficult for the clinician to understand. The purpose of this review is to present an introduction to some of the molecular biological techniques currently in use, namely the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and explore its applications to different aspects of plastic surgery. This review explores the role PCR now plays in all aspects of modern plastic surgery practise, with particular emphasis on normal and abnormal wound healing, the diagnosis of craniofacial anomalies, the diagnosis and treatment of cancer including melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, and burns.
- 10th International Symposium on Head And Neck Skin Cancer.
- Authors: van den Brekel MW, Balm AJ, Lohuis PJ, van der Veen JP
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- A new era of discovery in facial plastic surgery.
- Authors: Hom DB
- Issue date: 2000 Jul-Sep
- Nonmelanoma skin cancer of the head and neck II: surgical treatment and reconstruction.
- Authors: Ge NN, McGuire JF, Dyson S, Chark D
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- [Healing by secondary intention after skin cancer surgery on the head and neck].
- Authors: Bechara FG
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Relative value unit impact of complex skin closures to academic surgical melanoma practices.
- Authors: Khandelwal CM, Meyers MO, Yeh JJ, Amos KD, Frank JS, Long P, Ollila DW
- Issue date: 2012 Sep