Cytokine orchestration in post-operative peritoneal adhesion formation.
AffiliationDepartment of General Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Cytokines/antagonists & inhibitors/*metabolism
Drugs, Investigational/therapeutic use
Peritoneal Diseases/drug therapy/etiology/*immunology/pathology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWorld J Gastroenterol. 2008 Aug 21;14(31):4861-6.
JournalWorld journal of gastroenterology : WJG
AbstractPeritoneal adhesions are a near inevitable occurrence after laparotomy and a major cause of both patient and physician misery. To date, clinical attempts at their amelioration have concentrated on manipulating the physical factors that affect their development despite a wealth of experimental data elucidating the molecular mechanisms that underlie their initiation, development and maturation. However, the advent of targeted, specific anti-cytokine agents as directed therapy for inflammatory and neoplastic conditions raises the prospect of a new era for anti-adhesion strategies. To harness this potential will require considerable cross-disciplinary collaboration and that surgeon-scientists propel themselves to the forefront of this emerging field.
- Peritoneal adhesions after laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery.
- Authors: Mais V
- Issue date: 2014 May 7
- Peritoneal molecular environment, adhesion formation and clinical implication.
- Authors: Chegini N
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 1
- Macrophage and T-lymphocyte infiltrates in human peritoneal adhesions indicate a chronic inflammatory disease.
- Authors: Binnebösel M, Rosch R, Junge K, Lynen-Jansen P, Schumpelick V, Klinge U
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- The biology of adhesion formation in the peritoneal cavity.
- Authors: Braun KM, Diamond MP
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Awareness and perception of intra-abdominal adhesions and related consequences: survey of gynaecologists in German hospitals.
- Authors: Hackethal A, Sick C, Brueggmann D, Tchartchian G, Wallwiener M, Muenstedt K, Tinneberg HR
- Issue date: 2010 Jun