Comparison in maternal body composition between Caucasian Irish and Indian women.
AffiliationUCD Centre for Human Reproduction, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, , Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Asian Continental Ancestry Group/*ethnology
Body Mass Index
European Continental Ancestry Group/*ethnology
Pregnancy Trimester, First/*physiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2011 Aug;31(6):483-5.
JournalJournal of obstetrics and gynaecology : the journal of the Institute of, Obstetrics and Gynaecology
AbstractThe use of body mass index (BMI) for the diagnosis of obesity has limitations, especially when comparing ethnic groups with different body proportions. The aim of this prospective study was to compare maternal body composition in early pregnancy between Caucasian Irish and Indian women. A total of 81 Indian women and 81 Irish Caucasian women were matched for age, parity and BMI. Maternal weight and height were measured, and body composition analysed using bioelectrical impedance. The Irish women were taller and weighed more than the Indian women (p<0.001). At any given BMI, the Indian women had a higher total body fat percentage, visceral fat level and high fat percentage than the Irish women (p=0.024, 0.001 and 0.001, respectively). Our findings suggest that lower BMI cut-offs should be used for screening for gestational diabetes mellitus in Indian women attending our antenatal services.
- Maternal weight and body composition in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Authors: Fattah C, Farah N, Barry SC, O'Connor N, Stuart B, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- BMI, fat and muscle differences in urban women of five ethnicities from two countries.
- Authors: Rush EC, Goedecke JH, Jennings C, Micklesfield L, Dugas L, Lambert EV, Plank LD
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Body size, body composition and fat distribution: comparative analysis of European, Maori, Pacific Island and Asian Indian adults.
- Authors: Rush EC, Freitas I, Plank LD
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- The influence of maternal body composition on birth weight.
- Authors: Farah N, Stuart B, Donnelly V, Kennelly MM, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Body size, body composition, and fat distribution: a comparison of young New Zealand men of European, Pacific Island, and Asian Indian ethnicities.
- Authors: Rush E, Plank L, Chandu V, Laulu M, Simmons D, Swinburn B, Yajnik C
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 17