AuthorsTurner, Michael J
AffiliationUCD Centre for Human Reproduction, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, , Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInt J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010 Apr;109(1):9-11. Epub 2010 Feb 20.
JournalInternational journal of gynaecology and obstetrics: the official organ of the, International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
AbstractPeripartum hysterectomy (PH) is one of the obstetric catastrophes. Evidence is emerging that the role of PH in modern obstetrics is evolving. Improving management of postpartum hemorrhage and newer surgical techniques should decrease PH for uterine atony. Rising levels of repeat elective cesarean deliveries should decrease PH following uterine scar rupture in labor. Increasing cesarean rates, however, have led to an increase in the number of PHs for morbidly adherent placenta. In the case of uterine atony or rupture where PH is required, a subtotal PH is often sufficient. In the case of pathological placental localization involving the cervix, however, a total hysterectomy is required. Furthermore, the involvement of other pelvic structures may prospectively make the diagnosis difficult and the surgery challenging. If resources permit, PH for pathological placental localization merits a multidisciplinary approach. Despite advances in clinical practice, it is likely that peripartum hysterectomy will be more challenging for obstetricians in the future.
- Incidence and determinants of peripartum hysterectomy in the metropolitan area of the District of Columbia.
- Authors: Owolabi MS, Blake RE, Mayor MT, Adegbulugbe HA
- Issue date: 2013 Mar-Apr
- Emergency peripartum hysterectomy: a 9-year review.
- Authors: Yucel O, Ozdemir I, Yucel N, Somunkiran A
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Emergency Peripartum Hysterectomy as Postpartum Hemorrhage Treatment: Incidence, Risk factors, and Complications.
- Authors: Pradhan M, Shao Y
- Issue date: 2014 Jan-Mar
- Emergency peripartum hysterectomy: a comparison of cesarean and postpartum hysterectomy.
- Authors: Forna F, Miles AM, Jamieson DJ
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Peripartum hysterectomy in the first decade of the 21st century.
- Authors: Tadesse W, Farah N, Hogan J, D'Arcy T, Kennelly M, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2011 May