Hepatitis C: is there a case for universal screening in pregnancy?
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Coombe Women & Infant's University, Hospital, Dolphin's Barn, Dublin 8. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hepacivirus/*isolation & purification
Pregnancy Complications, Infectious/diagnosis/*epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 May;104(5):144-6.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractHepatitis C (HCV) is not routinely screened for antenatally in all maternity hospitals. Most hospitals adopt a policy of targeted screening. The policy in the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital in Dublin changed from targeted screening in 2006 to universal screening in 2007. We audited the two consecutive years. The prevalence of HCV in our antenatal population was 1.4% for 2006 (67/4666) when targeted screening applied and in 2007--0.71% (66/9222) when universal screening came into affect. One woman in 2007 would not have been detected by targeted screening--1.49% (1/67). Fifty five percent (37/67) of women were HCV-RNA positive in 2006 and 57.5% (38/66) were positive in 2007. We conclude that there were similar detection rates for HCV in 2006 and 2007 and that universal screening is not required if inclusive criteria for selective screening are employed but is of use in research context.
- Evaluation of a universal vs a targeted hepatitis C virus screening strategy among pregnant women at the Vienna University Hospital.
- Authors: Diab-Elschahawi M, Dosch V, Honsig C, Jatzko B, Segagni L, Assadian O, Presterl E
- Issue date: 2013 May
- HBV and HCV prevalence and viraemia in HIV-positive and HIV-negative pregnant women in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire: the ANRS 1236 study.
- Authors: Rouet F, Chaix ML, Inwoley A, Msellati P, Viho I, Combe P, Leroy V, Dabis F, Rouzioux C, ANRS 1236 DITRAME-B&C Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Hepatitis C in pregnancy.
- Authors: Dinsmoor MJ
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Universal antenatal screening for hepatitis C.
- Authors: Lambert J, Jackson V, Coulter-Smith S, Brennan M, Geary M, Kelleher TB, O'Reilly M, Grundy K, Sammon N, Cafferkey M
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Reliability of risk-based screening for hepatitis C virus infection among pregnant women in Egypt.
- Authors: El-Kamary SS, Hashem M, Saleh DA, Ehab M, Sharaf SA, El-Mougy F, Abdelsalam L, Jhaveri R, Aboulnasr A, El-Ghazaly H
- Issue date: 2015 May