Aortic isthmus Doppler velocimetry: role in assessment of preterm fetal growth restriction.
AffiliationUltrasound and Fetal Medicine Centre, Coombe Women & Infants University Hospital,, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Fetal Growth Retardation/*ultrasonography
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPrenat Diagn. 2010 May;30(5):395-401.
AbstractIntrauterine fetal growth restriction (IUGR) is an important pregnancy complication associated with significant adverse clinical outcome, stillbirth, perinatal morbidity and cerebral palsy. To date, no uniformly accepted management protocol of Doppler surveillance that reduces mortality and cognitive morbidity has emerged. Aortic isthmus (AoI) evaluation has been proposed as a potential monitoring tool for IUGR fetuses. In this review, the current knowledge of the relationship between AoI Doppler velocimetry and preterm fetal growth restriction is reviewed. Relevant technical aspects and reproducibility data are reviewed as we discuss AoI Doppler and its place within the existing repertoire of Doppler assessments in placental insufficiency. The AoI is a link between the right and left ventricles which perfuse the lower and upper body, respectively. The clinical use of AoI waveforms for monitoring fetal deterioration in IUGR has been limited, but preliminary work suggests that abnormal AoI impedance indices are an intermediate step between placental insufficiency-hypoxemia and cardiac decompensation. Further prospective studies correlating AoI indices with arterial and venous Doppler indices and perinatal outcome are required before encorporating this index into clinical practice.
- Doppler assessment of the aortic isthmus and perinatal outcome in preterm fetuses with severe intrauterine growth restriction.
- Authors: Del Río M, Martínez JM, Figueras F, Bennasar M, Olivella A, Palacio M, Coll O, Puerto B, Gratacós E
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Longitudinal study of aortic isthmus Doppler in appropriately grown and small-for-gestational-age fetuses with normal and abnormal umbilical artery Doppler.
- Authors: Kennelly MM, Farah N, Hogan J, Reilly A, Turner MJ, Stuart B
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Aortic Isthmus Doppler Velocimetry in Fetuses with Intrauterine Growth Restriction: A Literature Review.
- Authors: Ferraz MM, Araújo FDV, Carvalho PRN, Sá RAM
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Doppler Assessment of the Aortic Isthmus in Intrauterine Growth-Restricted Fetuses.
- Authors: Karakus R, Ozgu-Erdinc AS, Esercan A, Dogan MM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Relationship between arterial and venous Doppler and perinatal outcome in fetal growth restriction.
- Authors: Baschat AA, Gembruch U, Reiss I, Gortner L, Weiner CP, Harman CR
- Issue date: 2000 Oct