Body Mass Index (BMI) in women booking for antenatal care: comparison between selfreported and digital measurements.
AffiliationUCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, Coombe Women and Infants University, Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
*Body Mass Index
Pregnancy Complications/prevention & control
Pregnancy Trimester, First
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009 May;144(1):32-4. Epub 2009 Mar 5.
JournalEuropean journal of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology
AbstractOBJECTIVE: We set out to compare measurement of Body Mass Index (BMI) with selfreporting in women early in pregnancy. STUDY DESIGN: We studied 100 women booking for antenatal care in the first trimester with a normal ongoing pregnancy. Selfreported maternal weight and height were recorded and the Body Mass Index was calculated. Afterwards maternal weight and height were digitally measured and actual BMI was calculated. RESULTS: If selfreporting is used for BMI classification, we found that 22% of women were classified incorrectly when BMI was measured. 12% of the women who were classified as having a normal selfreported BMI were overweight and 5% classified as overweight were obese. Similar findings have been reported outside pregnancy. CONCLUSIONS: These findings have implications for clinical practice, and for research studies exploring the relationship between maternal adiposity and pregnancy complications.
- Maternal weight and body composition in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Authors: Fattah C, Farah N, Barry SC, O'Connor N, Stuart B, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Trimester-specific blood pressure levels in relation to maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index.
- Authors: Miller RS, Thompson ML, Williams MA
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Trends in body mass index during early pregnancy in Swedish women 1978-2001.
- Authors: Brynhildsen J, Sydsjö A, Norinder E, Selling KE, Sydsjö G
- Issue date: 2006 May
- The influence of maternal body composition on birth weight.
- Authors: Farah N, Stuart B, Donnelly V, Kennelly MM, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Changes in pre-pregnancy weight and weight gain during pregnancy: retrospective comparison between 1986 and 2004.
- Authors: Frischknecht F, Brühwiler H, Raio L, Lüscher KP
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 24