AffiliationRoyal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Department of Gynaecology, Coombe and, Tallagh Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia/pathology/*surgery
Guidelines as Topic
Obstetric Labor, Premature/etiology
Uterine Cervical Neoplasms/pathology/*surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCytopathology. 2009 Jun;20(3):145-53.
JournalCytopathology : official journal of the British Society for Clinical Cytology
AbstractThe treatment of CIN: what are the risks?The treatment of squamous cervical intraepithelial neoplasia is to remove or destroy the transformation zone (TZ). It is likely that no method of treatment is superior to another if it is performed properly and the limited available evidence supports this view. The significant advantages of excision (simplicity, cost, outpatient procedure, histological examination of the entire TZ) mean that treatment thresholds may have lowered over the last decade. Long-term pregnancy-related morbidity associated with excision has been reported recently. The evidence would suggest that this increase equates to a genuine increase in serious adverse outcome for cone biopsy but not large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ). The available data also point to an increase in both incomplete excision and premature labour associated with the excision of large endocervical TZs. The clinical implications arising from this are firstly that women with large type 2 and 3 TZs need appropriate counselling before treatment and that the threshold for treating young women with mild abnormalities needs review.
- Large loop excision of the transformation zone for treating cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a 12-year experience.
- Authors: Paraskevaidis E, Koliopoulos G, Malamou-Mitsi V, Zikopoulos K, Paschopoulos M, Pappa L, Agnantis NJ, Loli DE
- Issue date: 2001 Jul-Aug
- Endocervical cytobrush for the detection of cervical dysplasia before large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ).
- Authors: Tempfer C, Polterauer S, Grimm C, Bentz EK, Reinthaller A, Hefler LA
- Issue date: 2008 Sep-Oct
- Preterm delivery and premature rupture of membranes after conization in 80 women. Preliminary data.
- Authors: Patrelli TS, Anfuso S, Vandi F, Valitutto S, Migliore M, Salvati MA, De Ioris A, Condemi V, Fadda GM, Bacchi Modena A, Nardelli GB
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- The volume perspective: a comparison of two excisional treatments for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (laser versus LLETZ).
- Authors: Phadnis SV, Atilade A, Young MP, Evans H, Walker PG
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Treatment failure following large loop excision of the transformation zone for the treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia at Rajavithi Hospital.
- Authors: Boonlikit S, Junghuttakarnsatit P, Asavapiriyanont S
- Issue date: 2008 Jan