Comparison of HPV detection technologies: Hybrid capture 2, PreTect HPV-Proofer and analysis of HPV DNA viral load in HPV16, HPV18 and HPV33 E6/E7 mRNA positive specimens.
Mc Inerney, Jamie
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, Dublin 8, , Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHCervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia/diagnosis/virology
Human papillomavirus 16/genetics/isolation & purification
Human papillomavirus 18/genetics/isolation & purification
Oncogene Proteins, Viral/genetics/*metabolism
Papillomaviridae/classification/genetics/*isolation & purification
Papillomavirus E7 Proteins/genetics/*metabolism
Polymerase Chain Reaction/methods
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Virol Methods. 2009 Jan;155(1):61-6. Epub 2008 Nov 13.
JournalJournal of virological methods
AbstractHuman papillomavirus (HPV) testing using molecular methods in liquid based cytology (LBC) specimens may be useful as an adjunct to cervical screening by cytology. We compared the positivity rate of the commercially available HPV DNA method hybrid capture 2 (hc2) and the commercially available E6/E7 mRNA method PreTect HPV-Proofer in cytological specimens (n=299). LBC specimens collected (n=299) represented the following cervical cytological disease categories: Normal (n=60), borderline nuclear abnormalities (BNA) (n=34), CIN1 (n=121), CIN2 (n=60), CIN3 (n=24). Overall, 69% (205/299) of the cases were positive by hc2 and 38% (112/299) of the cases were positive by PreTect HPV-Proofer. Concordance rates between the two tests were highest in the high-grade cytology cases (CIN2: 67% and CIN3: 83%) and the normal cytology cases (88%) and lowest in the BNA and CIN1 categories (56% and 52%). HPV DNA viral load analyses were carried out on HPV16 (n=55), HPV18 (n=9) and HPV33 (n=13) samples that were positive by PreTect HPV-Proofer. The sensitivity and specificity of PreTect HPV-Proofer and the hc2 DNA test for the detection of high-grade cytology (i.e. CIN2+) were 71.4% and 75.8% vs 100% and 43.7%, respectively. The relatively low detection rate observed by PreTect HPV-Proofer in the whole range of cytological positive cases, combined with a relatively higher specificity and PPV, suggests that PreTect HPV-Proofer may be more useful than hc2 for triage and in predicting high-grade disease.
- Predictive testing of early cervical pre-cancer by detecting human papillomavirus E6/E7 mRNA in cervical cytologies up to high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions: diagnostic and prognostic implications.
- Authors: Varnai AD, Bollmann M, Bankfalvi A, Speich N, Schmitt C, Griefingholt H, Kovács K, Klozoris C, Bollmann R
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Comparison of human papillomavirus messenger RNA and DNA detection: a cross-sectional study of 4,136 women >30 years of age with a 2-year follow-up of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion.
- Authors: Molden T, Kraus I, Karlsen F, Skomedal H, Nygård JF, Hagmar B
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Diagnostic and prognostic validity of the human papillomavirus E6/E7 mRNA test in cervical cytological samples of HC2-positive patients.
- Authors: Benevolo M, Terrenato I, Mottolese M, Marandino F, Carosi M, Rollo F, Ronchetti L, Muti P, Mariani L, Sindico S, Vocaturo G, Vocaturo A
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Expression of E6/E7 mRNA from 'high risk' human papillomavirus in relation to CIN grade, viral load and p16INK4a.
- Authors: Andersson S, Hansson B, Norman I, Gaberi V, Mints M, Hjerpe A, Karlsen F, Johansson B
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- PreTect HPV-Proofer: real-time detection and typing of E6/E7 mRNA from carcinogenic human papillomaviruses.
- Authors: Molden T, Kraus I, Skomedal H, Nordstrøm T, Karlsen F
- Issue date: 2007 Jun