Vaginal prostaglandin gel to induce labour in women with one previous caesarean section.
Turner, M J
AffiliationUCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, Coombe Women and Infants University, Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Dinoprostone/*administration & dosage
Vaginal Birth after Cesarean/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Apr;29(3):209-11.
JournalJournal of obstetrics and gynaecology : the journal of the Institute of, Obstetrics and Gynaecology
AbstractThis retrospective study reviewed the mode of delivery when vaginal prostaglandins were used to induce labour in women with a single previous lower segment caesarean section. Over a 4-year period, PGE 2 gel was used cautiously in low doses in 54 women. Induction with PGE 2 gel was associated with an overall vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC) rate of 74%, which compared favourably with the 74% VBAC rate in women who went into spontaneous labour (n = 1969). There were no adverse outcomes recorded after the prostaglandin inductions but the number reported are too small to draw any conclusions about the risks, such as uterine rupture. We report our results because they may be helpful in assessing the chances of a successful VBAC in the uncommon clinical circumstances where prostaglandin induction is being considered.
- Review of vaginal birth after primary caesarean section without prostaglandin induction and or syntocinon augmentation in labour.
- Authors: Ogbonmwan SE, Miller V, Ogbonmwan DE, Akinsola AA
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Vaginal birth after Cesarean delivery: predicting success, risks of failure.
- Authors: Durnwald C, Mercer B
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Uterine rupture after induction of labour in women with previous caesarean section.
- Authors: Kayani SI, Alfirevic Z
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Uterine rupture with the use of PGE2 vaginal inserts for labor induction in women with previous cesarean sections.
- Authors: Taylor DR, Doughty AS, Kaufman H, Yang L, Iannucci TA
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Induction of labour: a comparison between controlled-release dinoprostone vaginal pessary (Cervidil) and dinoprostone intravaginal gel (Prostin E2).
- Authors: Kho EM, Sadler L, McCowan L
- Issue date: 2008 Oct