AffiliationUCD Centre for Human Reproduction, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, , Cork St, Dublin 8
*Health Services Needs and Demand
Maternal Health Services/*organization & administration
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 Jun;104(6):180-2.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe introduction of new models of care in the Irish maternity services has been recommended by both advocacy groups and strategic reports. Yet there is a dearth of information about what models of care pregnant women want. We surveyed women in early pregnancy who were attending a large Dublin maternity hospital. Demographic and clinical details were recorded from the hospital chart. Of the 501 women, 351 (70%) (352 (70.3%) of women wanted shared antenatal care between their family doctor and either a hospital doctor or midwife. 228 (45.5%) preferred to have their baby delivered in a doctor-led unit, while 215 (42.9%) preferred a midwifery-led unit. Of those 215 (42.9%), 118 (55%) met criteria for suitability. There was minimal demand (1.6%) for home births. Choice was influenced by whether the woman was attending for private care or not. Safety is the most important factor for women when choosing the type of maternity care they want. Pregnant women want a wide range of choices when it comes to models of maternity care. Their choice is strongly influenced by safety considerations, and will be determined in part by risk assessment.
- Childbirth policies and practices in Ireland and the journey towards midwifery-led care.
- Authors: Devane D, Murphy-Lawless J, Begley CM
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Midwife-led maternity services and consumer 'choice' in an Australian metropolitan region.
- Authors: Zadoroznyj M
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Women's expectations of maternity services: a community-based survey.
- Authors: Gamble J, Creedy DK, Teakle B
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- A national survey of women's views of their maternity care in Scotland.
- Authors: Hundley V, Rennie AM, Fitzmaurice A, Graham W, van Teijlingen E, Penney G
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Views of pregnant women on the involvement of general practitioners in maternity care.
- Authors: Smith LF
- Issue date: 1996 Feb