AffiliationDepartment of Newborn Medicine, Coombe Women's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Blood Pressure Monitoring, Ambulatory/instrumentation/*methods
Blood Pressure Monitors
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm J Perinatol. 2009 Feb;26(2):113-6. Epub 2008 Nov 19.
JournalAmerican journal of perinatology
AbstractBlood pressure monitoring is an essential component of neonatal intensive care. We compared invasive and noninvasive (Dinamap, Marquette, and Dash) recordings in newborns and also noninvasive values obtained from upper and lower limbs. Infants' blood pressure was recorded every 6 hours for 72 hours using three noninvasive devices and compared with invasive readings taken simultaneously. Twenty-five babies were enrolled in the study, with birth weights of 560 to 4500 g and gestation 24 + 1 to 40 + 5 weeks. Three hundred thirty-two recordings were obtained. Comparison between invasive and noninvasive readings revealed that all three noninvasive monitors overread mean blood pressure. There was no significant difference between the cuff recordings obtained from the upper or lower limbs. All three noninvasive devices overestimated mean blood pressure values compared with invasive monitoring. Clinicians may be falsely reassured by noninvasive monitoring. Mean blood pressure values obtained from the upper and lower limb are similar.
- Comparison between oscillometric and invasive blood pressure measurements in critically ill premature infants.
- Authors: Takci S, Yigit S, Korkmaz A, Yurdakök M
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- [Noninvasive blood pressure determination in newborn infants].
- Authors: Kollée LA, Schöls WA, The TS, Boon JM, Peer PG, Kuyper FJ
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- Validation of the HEM-780REL with easy wrap cuff for self-measurement of blood pressure according to the European Society of Hypertension International Protocol.
- Authors: Viera AJ, Hinderliter AL
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Evaluation of noninvasive oscillometric blood pressure monitoring in anesthetized boid snakes.
- Authors: Chinnadurai SK, Wrenn A, DeVoe RS
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 1
- Blood pressure in the neonate: three non-invasive oscillometric pressure monitors compared with invasively measured blood pressure.
- Authors: Dannevig I, Dale HC, Liestøl K, Lindemann R
- Issue date: 2005 Feb