A primary care-based health needs assessment in inner city Dublin.
AffiliationSchool of Medicine and Medical Science, The Coombe Healthcare Centre, Dublin 8,, Ireland. email@example.com
Primary Health Care/*organization & administration
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Sep;179(3):399-403. Epub 2010 Apr 20.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: In 2001, a primary care-based health needs assessment (HNA) in South Inner City of Dublin identified high levels of morbidity and widespread and frequent use of primary care and specialist hospital services as particular concerns. AIMS: This study aims to determine the primary care health needs of a local community, from the perspective of service users and service providers. METHODS: A similar methodology to our 2001 HNA was adopted, involving semi-structured interviews with a convenience sample of patients attending two general practices and key informants regarding local health issues and health service utilisation. RESULTS: High levels of morbidity and chronic illness were found. A correlation between the local environment and ill-health was identified, as well as high utilisation of primary care services in the area. CONCLUSION: The establishment of a Primary Care Team would begin to address the health needs of the community.
- Chronic illness and multimorbidity among problem drug users: a comparative cross sectional pilot study in primary care.
- Authors: Cullen W, O'Brien S, O'Carroll A, O'Kelly FD, Bury G
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 21
- Profile of Community Mental Health Service Needs in the Moretele District (North-West Province) in South Africa.
- Authors: Modiba P, Schneider H, Porteus K, Gunnarson V
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 1
- Addressing basic resource needs to improve primary care quality: a community collaboration programme.
- Authors: Berkowitz SA, Hulberg AC, Hong C, Stowell BJ, Tirozzi KJ, Traore CY, Atlas SJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Assessment of clinical and social need in patients attending an inner-city psychiatric service.
- Authors: Guruswamy S, Gannon M, Ryan M, Kinsella A, Breen EG, Kelly BD
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Traveller health and primary care in Ireland: a consultative forum.
- Authors: Van Hout MC
- Issue date: 2010 May