Acute simultaneous bilateral avulsion fractures of the tibial tubercles in a 15-year-old male hurler: case report and literature review.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford,, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):589-92. Epub 2008 Dec 4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Avulsion fractures of the tibial tubercle are an unusual injury pattern generally occurring in the adolescent male during sporting activities. Bilateral simultaneous fractures are extremely rare. They are often associated with other underlying orthopaedic pathology. AIMS: We present a case of bilateral tibial tubercle avulsions occurring in a 15 year-old male hurler. We describe the management and necessary investigations required for this type of trauma and present a literature review on this rarely encountered injury. CONCLUSION: Although this type of atypical fracture pattern is associated with high energy trauma and other underlying pathology, we have shown that once treated, the patient can expect to make a prompt return to sporting activities with no significant long-term functional deficit.
- Simultaneous bilateral tibial tubercle avulsion fracture in an adolescent: a case report.
- Authors: Elbaum R
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Avulsion fracture of the tibial tubercle apophysis with avulsion of patellar ligament.
- Authors: Mayba II
- Issue date: 1982 Aug
- Simultaneous bilateral tibial tubercle avulsion fracture.
- Authors: Maar DC, Kernek CB, Pierce RO
- Issue date: 1988 Nov
- [Epiphyseal fracture of the proximal tibia: review of the literature and report of simultaneous bilateral fractures in a 13-year-old boy].
- Authors: Käfer W, Kinzl L, Sarkar MR
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Avulsion fractures of the tibial tubercle.
- Authors: Hand WL, Hand CR, Dunn AW
- Issue date: 1971 Dec