Changes in intraocular pressure and anterior segment morphometry after uneventful phacoemulsification cataract surgery.
AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmology, Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford, Ireland., email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEye (Lond). 2010 Apr;24(4):519-26; quiz 527. Epub 2010 Feb 19.
JournalEye (London, England)
AbstractPURPOSE: To study changes in anterior segment morphometry after uneventful phacoemulsification cataract surgery, and to investigate whether there is a relationship between any observed changes and intraocular pressure (IOP) reduction after the procedure. METHODS: The anterior chamber depth (ACD), anterior chamber volume (ACV), anterior chamber angle (ACA), central corneal thickness (CCT), and IOP were measured in 101 non-glaucomatous eyes before and after uneventful phacoemulsification cataract surgery. RESULTS: After cataract surgery, the mean ACD, ACV, and ACA values increased by 1.08 mm, 54.4 mm(3), and 13.1 degrees , respectively, and the mean IOP (corrected for CCT) decreased by 3.2 mm Hg. The predictive value of a previously described index (preoperative ACD/preoperative IOP (corrected for CCT) or CPD ratio) for IOP (corrected for CCT) reduction after cataract surgery was confirmed, reflected in an r(2) value of 23.3% between these two parameters (P<0.001). Other indices predictive of IOP reduction after cataract surgery were also identified, including preoperative IOP/preoperative ACV and preoperative IOP/preoperative ACA, reflected in r(2) values of 13.7 and 13.7%, respectively (P<0.001 and P<0.001, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: Our study confirms the predictive value of the CPD ratio for IOP reduction after cataract surgery, and may contribute to the decision-making process in patients with glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Furthermore, two novel indices of preoperative parameters that are predictive for IOP reduction after cataract surgery were identified, and enhance our understanding of the mechanisms underlying IOP changes after this procedure.
- Evaluation of anterior segment parameter changes using the Pentacam after uneventful phacoemulsification.
- Authors: Doganay S, Bozgul Firat P, Emre S, Yologlu S
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Anterior chamber depth, iridocorneal angle width, and intraocular pressure changes after uneventful phacoemulsification in eyes without glaucoma and with open iridocorneal angles.
- Authors: Altan C, Bayraktar S, Altan T, Eren H, Yilmaz OF
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Changes in anterior chamber depth and intraocular pressure after phacoemulsification in eyes with occludable angles.
- Authors: Shin HC, Subrayan V, Tajunisah I
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Anterior chamber parameters measured by the Pentacam CES after uneventful phacoemulsification in normotensive eyes.
- Authors: Uçakhan OO, Ozkan M, Kanpolat A
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Discussion of changes in intraocular pressure and anterior segment morphometry following phacoemulsification cataract surgery.
- Authors: Dooley I, Beatty S
- Issue date: 2012 Jul