Ectopic pituitary adenoma presenting as midline nasopharyngeal mass.
AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dunmore Road,, Waterford, Ireland. email@example.com
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Dec;179(4):593-5. Epub 2009 Jan 8.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Ectopic pituitary adenomas are extremely rare. We report a case of ectopic pituitary adenoma in the midline of the nasopharynx. This adenoma probably arose from the pharyngeal remnant of Rathke's pouch. METHODS: We discuss a case of a lady who presented to our unit with 2 months history of dryness and sensation of lump in her throat and a long standing history of hypothyroidism. Examination of nasopharynx revealed a smooth and fluctuant midline mass. CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses confirmed the midline mass with small defect communicating with the sphenoid sinus. An initial diagnosis of Thornwaldt's cyst was made and she underwent upper aerodigestive tract endoscopy and marsupialization of the mass. Histopathological examination revealed ectopic pituitary adenoma. CONCLUSION: Ectopic pituitary adenoma is an important differential diagnosis for a midline nasopharyngeal mass. It is recommended that prior to surgical resection of midline nasopharyngeal mass biopsy is taken and MRI is performed.
- Ectopic sphenoid sinus pituitary adenoma (ESSPA) with normal anterior pituitary gland: a clinicopathologic and immunophenotypic study of 32 cases with a comprehensive review of the english literature.
- Authors: Thompson LD, Seethala RR, Müller S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Ectopic pituitary adenoma in persistent craniopharyngeal canal: case report and literature review.
- Authors: Kaushik C, Ramakrishnaiah R, Angtuaco EJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Pituitary Adenomas Presenting as Sinonasal or Nasopharyngeal Masses: A Case Series Illustrating Potential Diagnostic Pitfalls.
- Authors: Hyrcza MD, Ezzat S, Mete O, Asa SL
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- [A case of pituitary adenoma combined with Rathke's cleft cyst].
- Authors: Hiyama H, Kubo O, Yato S, Kagawa M, Kitamura K
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- Large pituitary adenoma of the sphenoid sinus and the nasopharynx: report of a case with ultrastructural evaluations.
- Authors: Kikuchi K, Kowada M, Sasaki J, Sageshima M
- Issue date: 1994 Oct