A rare case of thyroid metastasis from pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
AffiliationProfessorial Surgical Unit, Department of Surgery, The Adelaide and Meath, Hospital, Dublin Incorporating the National Children's Hospital Dublin, Ireland. , firstname.lastname@example.org
Antimetabolites, Antineoplastic/therapeutic use
Combined Modality Therapy
Deoxycytidine/analogs & derivatives/therapeutic use
Pancreatic Neoplasms/drug therapy/*pathology/surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJOP. 2011 Jan 5;12(1):37-9.
JournalJOP : Journal of the pancreas
AbstractCONTEXT: Thyroid metastasis from pancreatic adenocarcinoma is extremely rare, with only two previous cases in the literature. We report a case of pancreatic adenocarcinoma metastasising to the thyroid. We review the incidence, diagnosis, and management of this rare occurrence. CASE REPORT: A 38-year-old man with a synchronous 6-month history of thyroid swelling, presented with epigastric pain and signs of obstructive jaundice. He was investigated by abdominal computerised tomography and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. The diagnosis of pancreatic neoplasm was made. His thyroid neoplasm was investigated at another tertiary centre and thought to be a papillary neoplasm. He underwent a pancreaticoduodenectomy and recovered well post-operatively. Eight weeks later he had a total thyroidectomy. Histology confirmed that the thyroid mass was both morphologically and immunophenotypically similar to the pancreatic neoplasm. CONCLUSION: This case demonstrates the importance of a full investigation when a patient with suspected neoplastic history presents with a thyroid nodule. We outline the crucial role that immunohistochemistry plays in detecting and classifying primary and secondary thyroid neoplasms. The detection of a solitary thyroid metastasis from pancreatic adenocarcinoma may indicate a poor prognosis, and it is debatable whether resection of the primary should be undertaken when it presents with a solitary metastasis.
- Pancreatic carcinosarcoma. Case report of multimodal therapy and review of the literature.
- Authors: Gelos M, Behringer D, Philippou S, Mann B
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 8
- Management of a patient with borderline resectable pancreatic cancer. Case report and review.
- Authors: Shah AP, Strauss JB, Leslie WT, Shah A, Mahon B, Abrams RA
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 30
- Cerebellar metastasis from pancreatic adenocarcinoma. A case report.
- Authors: Caricato M, Borzomati D, Ausania F, Garberini A, Rabitti C, Tonini G, Coppola R
- Issue date: 2006
- [Local recurrence of pancreatic cancer successfully treated with gemcitabine].
- Authors: Ohmura T, Umekita N, Ohkubo T, Tanaka S, Maeshiro T, Matsuo S, Miyamoto S, Inoue S, Kitamura M
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- [A case of advanced pancreatic cancer showing remarkable response to gemcitabine treatment].
- Authors: Masaki T, Ohkawa S, Hirokawa S, Miyakawa K, Tamai S, Tarao K
- Issue date: 2003 Sep