AffiliationStroke Service, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
*Automobile Driving/statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):41-5. Epub 2010 Jul 28.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Stroke can affect a person's ability to drive, an important means of transportation in the developed world. AIMS: To determine percentage of patients and factors associated with return to driving post-stroke in a service with emphasis on driver assessment. METHODS: Retrospective study of patients discharged from the Stroke Service of our 470-bed teaching hospital from 1998 to 2002. RESULTS: Of 72 drivers pre-stroke, 54% recalled a driving assessment and 68% returned to driving. Younger patients (58.6 +/- 12.0 vs. 66.5 +/- 10.5, p = 0.008) with lower Modified Rankin Score (median 1 vs. 2, p = 0.0001) and normal cognition (55 vs. 43%, p = 0.45) were more likely to resume driving. More patients who were assessed returned to driving than those who were not (74 vs. 61%, p = 0.31). CONCLUSIONS: A relatively high level of return to driving can be achieved post-stroke with a pro-active approach to driver assessment and rehabilitation. A structured assessment and referral programme should be offered where appropriate.
- Differences between poststroke drivers and nondrivers: demographic characteristics, medical status, and transportation use.
- Authors: Finestone HM, Marshall SC, Rozenberg D, Moussa RC, Hunt L, Greene-Finestone LS
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Shifting gears: An inpatient medical record audit and post-discharge survey of return-to-driving following stroke/transient ischaemic attack.
- Authors: Frith J, Warren-Forward H, Hubbard I, James C
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Retrospective analysis of factors that affect driving assessment outcomes after stroke.
- Authors: Chua M, McCluskey A, Smead JM
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Retrospective cohort study of accident outcomes for individuals who have successfully undergone driver assessment following stroke.
- Authors: Pearce AM, Smead JM, Cameron ID
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Assessment for resumed driving in stroke patients via Functional Independence Measure1.
- Authors: Inoue T, Ooba H, Hirano M, Takehara I, Watanabe S, Hitosugi M
- Issue date: 2018