Small cell cervical cancer: an unusual finding at cholecystectomy.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Adelaide and Meath Hospital incorporating the National, Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHCarcinoma, Small Cell/*diagnosis/pathology
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
Uterine Cervical Neoplasms/*diagnosis/pathology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationArch Gynecol Obstet. 2009 Feb;279(2):251-4. Epub 2008 Jun 12.
JournalArchives of gynecology and obstetrics
AbstractBACKGROUND: Small cell carcinoma of the cervix is a rare cancer, comprising less than 3% of all cervical neoplasms. It uniformly has a poor prognosis, and has a high mortality even with early stage disease. It can metastasise rapidly and metastatic sites include lung, liver, brain, bone, pancreas and lymph nodes. CASE: Here, we report the case of a 60-year-old woman with no symptoms of cervical pathology who developed post-renal failure following a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The cause was bilateral ureteric obstruction from metastatic small cell cervical cancer and metastases were subsequently found on her gallbladder specimen. CONCLUSION: This is an unusual presentation of small cell cervical cancer and demonstrates the aggressive nature of this disease.
- "Occult" neuroendocrine component and rare metastatic pattern in cervical cancer: report of a case and brief review of the literature.
- Authors: Rhiem K, Possover M, Gossmann A, Drebber K, Mallmann P, Ulrich U
- Issue date: 2007
- Metastatic carcinoma of the gallbladder mimicking an advanced cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Martínez-Román S, Frumovitz M, Deavers MT, Ramirez PT
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of cervix--a case report.
- Authors: Chatterjee S, Chakravorty S, Kapoor P, Chattopadhyay D
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- A cure from the small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix following conventional surgery.
- Authors: Strinić T, Tomić S, Pejković L, Eterović D, Forko JI, Karelović D
- Issue date: 2000
- Sarcomatoid carcinoma with components of small cell carcinoma and undifferentiated carcinoma of the gallbladder.
- Authors: Takahashi Y, Fukushima J, Fukusato T, Shiga J
- Issue date: 2004 Nov