Primary angiitis of the central nervous system with diffuse cerebral mass effect and giant cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Incorporating, the National Children's Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Tallaght, Dublin 24,, Ireland. email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
MeSHAged, 80 and over
Anti-Inflammatory Agents/therapeutic use
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Vasculitis, Central Nervous System/drug therapy/*pathology/radiography
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Clin Neurosci. 2010 May;17(5):674-6. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
JournalJournal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society , of Australasia
AbstractPrimary angiitis of the central nervous system (PACNS), also called primary CNS vasculitis, is an idiopathic inflammatory condition affecting only intracranial and spinal cord vessels, particularly medium-sized and smaller arteries and arterioles. Angiography and histopathology typically do not reveal evidence of systemic vasculitis.(1,2) Histopathology usually reveals granulomatous inflammation affecting arterioles and small arteries of the parenchyma and/or leptomeninges, similar to that seen in Takayasu's or giant cell arteritis.(1-3) We report a patient with biopsy-proven PACNS with giant cells and cerebral mass effect on MRI. Magnetic resonance angiography and cerebral angiography appeared normal and there was no evidence of extracranial vasculitis.
- [Primary angiitis of CNS (PACNS)].
- Authors: Rollnik JD, Brandis A, Dehghani K, Bufler J, Lorenz M, Heidenreich F, Donnerstag F
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Primary angiitis of the central nervous system at conventional angiography.
- Authors: Kadkhodayan Y, Alreshaid A, Moran CJ, Cross DT 3rd, Powers WJ, Derdeyn CP
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Involvement of CD45RO+ T lymphocyte infiltration in a patient with primary angiitis of the central nervous system restricted to small vessels.
- Authors: Iwase T, Ojika K, Mitake S, Katada E, Katano H, Mase M, Yoshida S, Ueda R
- Issue date: 2001
- [Primary central nervous system vasculitis].
- Authors: Kalashnikova LA, Dobrynina LA, Legenko MS
- Issue date: 2019
- [A clinical analysis of 5 patients with infratentorial primary angiitis of central nervous system].
- Authors: Peng LJ, Qian HR, Mao LL, Xia DY, Qi XK
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 1