Prevalence of psoriasis in patients with alcoholic liver disease.
AffiliationDepartment of Dermatology, Adelaide and Meath Hospital Incorporating the National, Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Alcohol Drinking/adverse effects
Liver Diseases, Alcoholic/*epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Exp Dermatol. 2009 Aug;34(6):698-701. Epub 2009 Apr 27.
JournalClinical and experimental dermatology
AbstractBACKGROUND: Excessive alcohol use has been implicated as a risk factor in the development of psoriasis, particularly in men. Despite this, little is known of the incidence or prevalence of psoriasis in patients who misuse alcohol. OBJECTIVE: To assess the prevalence of psoriasis in patients with alcoholic liver disease. METHODS: In total, 100 patients with proven alcoholic liver disease were surveyed for a history of psoriasis and a full skin examination was performed if relevant. RESULTS: Of the 100 patients, 15 reported a history of psoriasis and another 8 had evidence of current activity, suggesting a prevalence (past or present) of 15% in this group of patients. CONCLUSION: It would appear that the prevalence of psoriasis in patients who misuse alcohol is much higher than the 1-3% variously quoted in the general population.
- Drinking patterns, dependency and life-time drinking history in alcohol-related liver disease.
- Authors: Hatton J, Burton A, Nash H, Munn E, Burgoyne L, Sheron N
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Orthotopic liver transplantation for alcoholic liver disease: a retrospective analysis of survival, recidivism, and risk factors predisposing to recidivism.
- Authors: Mackie J, Groves K, Hoyle A, Garcia C, Garcia R, Gunson B, Neuberger J
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Prediction of risk of liver disease by alcohol intake, sex, and age: a prospective population study.
- Authors: Becker U, Deis A, Sørensen TI, Grønbaek M, Borch-Johnsen K, Müller CF, Schnohr P, Jensen G
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Prevalence of liver abnormalities in the general population of Okinawa, Japan.
- Authors: Nomura H, Hayashi J, Kajiyama W, Kashiwagi S
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- National survey of hepatocellular carcinoma in heavy drinkers in Japan.
- Authors: Horie Y, Yamagishi Y, Kajihara M, Kato S, Ishii H
- Issue date: 2003 Aug