Hematological abnormalities in adult patients with Down's syndrome.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Incorporating the, National Children's Hospital, Tallaght, D24, Dublin, Ireland. Smclean81@yahoo.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Mar;178(1):35-8. Epub 2008 Nov 20.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: There is a paucity of data regarding hematological abnormalities in adults with Down's syndrome (DS). AIMS: We aimed to characterize hematological abnormalities in adult patients with DS and determine their long-term significance. METHODS: We retrospectively studied a cohort of nine DS patients referred to the adult hematology service in our institution between May 2001 and April 2008. Data collected were: full blood count (FBC), comorbidities, investigations performed, duration of follow-up and outcome to most recent follow-up. RESULTS: Median follow-up was 26 months (9-71). Of the nine patients, two had myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) at presentation. Of these, one progressed, with increasing marrow failure, and requiring support with transfusions and gCSF. The remaining eight patients, with a variety of hematological abnormalities including leukopenia, macrocytosis, and thrombocytopenia, had persistently abnormal FBCs. However there was no evidence of progression, and no patient has evolved to acute myeloid leukemia (AML). CONCLUSIONS: MDS is a complication of DS and may require supportive therapy. However, minor hematological abnormalities are common in adult DS patients, and may not signify underlying marrow disease.
- Neoplastic disorders of hematopoiesis in children with Down's syndrome--a single institution experience in Taiwan.
- Authors: Chang HH, Lu MY, Jou ST, Lin KH, Tien HF, Wu ET, Lin DT
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Clinical and prognostic significance of trisomy 21 in adult patients with acute myelogenous leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Authors: Cortes JE, Kantarjian H, O'Brien S, Keating M, Pierce S, Freireich EJ, Estey E
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Hematological disturbances in Down syndrome: single centre experience of thirteen years and review of the literature.
- Authors: Karakurt N, Uslu İ, Aygün C, Albayrak C
- Issue date: 2019
- Long-term results of treatment with bosentan in adult Eisenmenger's syndrome patients with Down's syndrome related to congenital heart disease.
- Authors: Crepaz R, Romeo C, Montanaro D, De Santis S
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 18
- Unrelated donor bone marrow transplantation for acute leukemia in patients with Down's syndrome.
- Authors: Pawlowska AB, Davies SM, Orchard PJ, Wagner JE, Ramsay NK
- Issue date: 1996 Aug