Public awareness of testis cancer and the prevalence of testicular self-examination-changing patterns over 20 years.
AffiliationAdelaide and Meath Hospital Dublin, Incorporating the National Children's, Hospital, (AMNCH), Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland.
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUrology. 2010 Oct;76(4):915-8. Epub 2010 May 14.
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Delay in treatment of testis cancer (TC) has a proven negative impact on disease stage, treatment outcome, and mortality. Poor public awareness of the disease and lack of testis self-examination (TSE) may account for late presentation. The aim of this study was to examine the knowledge of TC and performance of TSE in a group of men over 2 time periods 20 years apart. METHODS: In the current study, 677 men from a banking institution were surveyed on their knowledge of TC and their performance of TSE. Comparisons were made from the current data and those from the original study in 1986. RESULTS: This study demonstrates an increase in public awareness and modest concomitant increase in TSE since first studied in this country in 1986. There was no difference in knowledge across age groups in this study. Furthermore, men who demonstrate a superior degree of knowledge were more likely to perform TSE. Limitations included possible selection bias in the 2 studies conducted in a banking institution. CONCLUSIONS: Increased testicular cancer knowledge combined with TSE may have a role in improving detection of significant testicular pathology.
- Pilot study of testicular cancer awareness and testicular self-examination in men attending two South London general practices.
- Authors: Khadra A, Oakeshott P
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Teaching testicular self-examination: education and practices in pediatric residents.
- Authors: Brenner JS, Hergenroeder AC, Kozinetz CA, Kelder SH
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Perceptions of testicular cancer and testicular self-examination among college men: a report on intention, vulnerability, and promotional material preferences.
- Authors: Rovito MJ, Gordon TF, Bass SB, Ducette J
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Testicular self-examination: attitudes and practices among young men in Europe.
- Authors: Wardle J, Steptoe A, Burckhardt R, Vögele C, Vila J, Zarczynski Z
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- Testicular cancer health education: an integrative review.
- Authors: Rosella JD
- Issue date: 1994 Oct