Free tissue transfer versus pedicled flap reconstruction of head and neck malignancy defects.
AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin,, Ireland. email@example.com
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell/*surgery
*Free Tissue Flaps
Head and Neck Neoplasms/*surgery
Reconstructive Surgical Procedures/methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Sep;179(3):337-43. Epub 2010 Feb 12.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: With the advent of microsurgery the pedicled flap is considered by many to be an outdated surgical option. AIMS: To explore the relationship between flap survival and pre-morbid risk factors, conduct a comparative analysis of flap and systemic morbidities and complete a cosmesis and functionality assessment for oral and oropharyngeal reconstruction patients. METHODS: 114 patients, over a 13-year period, who had a one-stage reconstructive procedure employing the pectoralis major myocutaneous flap (PMMF) or radial forearm-free flap (RFFF). RESULTS: Variables, including age, smoking and radiation exposure were not statistically significant predictors of flap survival probability. Atelectasis was a significant post-op finding of RFFF patients. Flap dehiscence of >50% was a significant morbidity of PMMF. No statistical difference in cosmetic deformity, diet and socialisation was noted. CONCLUSIONS: Pectoralis major myocutaneous flap remains an enduring and safe flap; however, the RFFF has markedly improved speech performance over the PMMF.
- Morbidity and cost differences between free flap reconstruction and pedicled flap reconstruction in oral and oropharyngeal cancer: Matched control study.
- Authors: Smeele LE, Goldstein D, Tsai V, Gullane PJ, Neligan P, Brown DH, Irish JC
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Submental island flap reconstruction reduces cost in oral cancer reconstruction compared to radial forearm free flap reconstruction: a case series and cost analysis.
- Authors: Forner D, Phillips T, Rigby M, Hart R, Taylor M, Trites J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 5
- Free radial forearm flap versus pectoralis major myocutaneous flap reconstruction of oral and oropharyngeal defects: a cost analysis.
- Authors: de Bree R, Reith R, Quak JJ, Uyl-de Groot CA, van Agthoven M, Leemans CR
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- The free vascularized flap and the pectoralis major pedicled flap options: comparative results of reconstruction of the tongue.
- Authors: Mallet Y, El Bedoui S, Penel N, Ton Van J, Fournier C, Lefebvre JL
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- The reliability of pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in head and neck reconstruction.
- Authors: El-Marakby HH
- Issue date: 2006 Mar