The impact of smoking status on the health status of heart failure patients.
AffiliationDepartment of Behavioral Health, St James Hospital & Health Centers, Olympia, Fields, IL 60461, USA. email@example.com
MeSHActivities of Daily Living/classification/psychology
Hospitalization/statistics & numerical data
Quality of Life/psychology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCongest Heart Fail. 2009 Mar-Apr;15(2):82-6.
JournalCongestive heart failure (Greenwich, Conn.)
AbstractSmoking is a major risk factor for the development of heart failure (HF). Yet, little is known about smoking's effects on the health status of established HF patients. HF patients were recruited from outpatient clinics across North America. The Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire (KCCQ) was used to assess disease-specific health status. Smoking behaviors were classified as never having smoked, prior smoker, and as having smoked within the past 30 days. Risk-adjusted multivariable regression was used to evaluate the association of smoking status with baseline and 1-year KCCQ overall summary scores. Smoking was not associated with baseline health status. However, a significant effect was observed on 1-year health status among outpatients with HF with current smokers reporting significantly lower KCCQ scores than never smokers or ex-smokers. These findings highlight an additional adverse consequence of smoking in HF patients not previously discussed.
- Health status identifies heart failure outpatients at risk for hospitalization or death.
- Authors: Heidenreich PA, Spertus JA, Jones PG, Weintraub WS, Rumsfeld JS, Rathore SS, Peterson ED, Masoudi FA, Krumholz HM, Havranek EP, Conard MW, Williams RE, Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium.
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 21
- Low-to-moderate alcohol intake and health status in heart failure patients.
- Authors: Salisbury AC, House JA, Conard MW, Krumholz HM, Spertus JA
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- The relationship between anemia, change in hematocrit over time and change in health status in patients with heart failure after myocardial infarction.
- Authors: Kosiborod M, Krumholz HM, Jones PG, Pitt B, Spertus JA
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Age, functional capacity, and health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure.
- Authors: Masoudi FA, Rumsfeld JS, Havranek EP, House JA, Peterson ED, Krumholz HM, Spertus JA, Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium.
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- A smoker's paradox in patients hospitalized for heart failure: findings from OPTIMIZE-HF.
- Authors: Fonarow GC, Abraham WT, Albert NM, Stough WG, Gheorghiade M, Greenberg BH, O'Connor CM, Nunez E, Yancy CW, Young JB
- Issue date: 2008 Aug