Tuberculous dactylitis in the setting of low serum vitamin D: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin 8,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Vitamin D Deficiency/immunology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Dec;64(12):e321-4. Epub 2011 May 28.
JournalJournal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery : JPRAS
AbstractWe present the case of a previously well patient who presented to the Emergency Department of a Dublin hospital with a tuberculous infection of his dominant index finger and a very low serum vitamin D level--this has been implicated in both primary and reactivation infections with Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. This case highlights and reviews both the importance of considering non-endemic pathologies in the setting of a patient base of diverse ethnicity, and the emerging importance of vitamin D in the immune response to M. tuberculosis infection. We discuss the relevant literature to highlight the background of this disease process, and the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to these patients.
- Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome (IRIS) with acute tuberculous osteomyelitis and disseminated mutilating tuberculous dactylitis in a person living with HIV and AIDS (PLHA): a case report.
- Authors: Krishnaraj R, Chockalingam C, Krishnarajasekhar OR, Ayyamperumal M, Narayanan R, Satagopan K
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct
- A bizarre appearance of a common disease, tuberculous dactylitis, involving multiple digits in an adult.
- Authors: Chrispal A, Prabhakar T, Booruga HK
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- [A rare cause of osteomyelitis. A case of Mycobacterium bovis in a wrist].
- Authors: Glintborg D, Wandall JH
- Issue date: 2000 Mar 20
- Primary tuberculous osteomyelitis of zygoma.
- Authors: Sethi A, Sareen D, Agarwal AK, Bansal R
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Disseminated tuberculosis presenting with finger swelling in a patient with tuberculous osteomyelitis: a case report.
- Authors: Agarwal S, Caplivski D, Bottone EJ
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 3