Endovascular stent graft treatment of acute thoracic aortic transections due to blunt force trauma.
AffiliationDivision of Trauma, St. James Hospital and Health Centers, Midwestern University,, Olympia Fields, Illinois, USA.
*Blood Vessel Prosthesis Implantation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurg Innov. 2009 Jun;16(2):147-54. Epub 2009 May 14.
AbstractEndovascular stent graft treatment of acute thoracic aortic transections is an encouraging minimally invasive alternative to open surgical repair. Between 2006 and 2008, 16 patients with acute thoracic aortic transections underwent evaluation at our institution. Seven patients who were treated with an endovascular stent graft were reviewed. The mean Glasgow Coma Score was 13.0, probability of survival was .89, and median injury severity score was 32. The mean number of intensive care unit days was 7.7, mean number of ventilator support days was 5.4, and hospital length of stay was 10 days. Mean blood loss was 285 mL, and operative time was 143 minutes. Overall mortality was 14%. Procedure complications were a bleeding arteriotomy site and an endoleak. Endovascular treatment of traumatic thoracic aortic transections appears to demonstrate superior results with respect to mortality, blood loss, operative time, paraplegia, and procedure-related complications when compared with open surgical repair literature.
- Conventional surgical repair and endovascular treatment of acute traumatic aortic rupture.
- Authors: Buz S, Zipfel B, Mulahasanovic S, Pasic M, Weng Y, Hetzer R
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Operative repair or endovascular stent graft in blunt traumatic thoracic aortic injuries: results of an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Multicenter Study.
- Authors: Demetriades D, Velmahos GC, Scalea TM, Jurkovich GJ, Karmy-Jones R, Teixeira PG, Hemmila MR, O'Connor JV, McKenney MO, Moore FO, London J, Singh MJ, Lineen E, Spaniolas K, Keel M, Sugrue M, Wahl WL, Hill J, Wall MJ, Moore EE, Margulies D, Malka V, Chan LS, American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Thoracic Aortic Injury Study Group
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Endovascular treatment of traumatic thoracic aortic injuries.
- Authors: Feezor RJ, Hess PJ Jr, Martin TD, Klodell CT, Beaver TM, Lottenberg L, Martin LC, Lee WA
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Endovascular management of acute blunt traumatic thoracic aortic injury: a single center experience.
- Authors: Bent CL, Matson MB, Sobeh M, Renfrew I, Uppal R, Walsh M, Brohi K, Kyriakides C
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Endovascular repair of blunt traumatic thoracic aortic injuries: seven-year single-center experience.
- Authors: Garcia-Toca M, Naughton PA, Matsumura JS, Morasch MD, Kibbe MR, Rodriguez HE, Pearce WH, Eskandari MK
- Issue date: 2010 Jul