AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, St. James Hospital,, Dublin 8, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Receptor, IGF Type 1/*biosynthesis
Small Cell Lung Carcinoma/*metabolism/mortality/pathology
Tumor Markers, Biological/*analysis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Lung Cancer. 2011 Jan;12(1):38-42.
JournalClinical lung cancer
AbstractBACKGROUND: Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is an aggressive disease with a poor prognosis. The insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor (IGF-1R) is an autocrine growth factor and an attractive therapeutic target in many solid tumors, but particularly in lung cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS: This study examined tumor samples from 23 patients diagnosed with SCLC, 11 resected specimens and 12 nodal biopsies obtained by mediastinoscopy, for expression of IGF-1R using the monoclonal rabbit anti-IGF-1R (clone G11, Ventana Medical Systems, Tucson, AZ) and standard immunohistochemistry (IHC). RESULTS: All 23 tumor samples expressed IGF-1R with a range of stain intensity from weak (1+) to strong (3+). Ten tumors had a score of 3+, 7 tumors 2+, and 6 tumors 1+. Patient survival data were available for all 23 patients. Two patients died < 30 days post biopsy, therefore, the intensity of anti-IGF-1R immunostaining for 21 patients was correlated to survival. Patients with 3+ immunostaining had a poorer prognosis (P = .003). The overall survival of patients who underwent surgical resection was significantly better (median survival not reached) than patients who were not resected (median survival, 7.4 months) (P = .006). CONCLUSION: IGF-1R targeted therapies may have a role in the treatment of SCLC in combination with chemotherapy or as maintenance therapy. Further studies on the clinical benefit of targeting IGF-1R in SCLC are needed.
- Expressions of insulin-like growth factor receptor-1 and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Kim YH, Sumiyoshi S, Hashimoto S, Masago K, Togashi Y, Sakamori Y, Okuda C, Mio T, Mishima M
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor protein expression and gene copy number alterations in non-small cell lung carcinomas.
- Authors: Tsuta K, Mimae T, Nitta H, Yoshida A, Maeshima AM, Asamura H, Grogan TM, Furuta K, Tsuda H
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor (IGF-1R) exclusive nuclear staining: a predictive biomarker for IGF-1R monoclonal antibody (Ab) therapy in sarcomas.
- Authors: Asmane I, Watkin E, Alberti L, Duc A, Marec-Berard P, Ray-Coquard I, Cassier P, Decouvelaere AV, Ranchère D, Kurtz JE, Bergerat JP, Blay JY
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Prognostic role of insulin-like growth factor receptor-1 expression in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chang MH, Lee J, Han J, Park YH, Ahn JS, Park K, Ahn MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Klotho predicts good clinical outcome in patients with limited-disease small cell lung cancer who received surgery.
- Authors: Usuda J, Ichinose S, Ishizumi T, Ohtani K, Inoue T, Saji H, Kakihana M, Kajiwara N, Uchida O, Nomura M, Ohira T, Ikeda N
- Issue date: 2011 Nov