Treatment of relapsing polychondritis in the era of biological agents.
AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, St James' Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland.
MeSHAntibodies, Monoclonal/*therapeutic use
Antibodies, Monoclonal, Murine-Derived
Antirheumatic Agents/therapeutic use
Aortic Valve/drug effects/pathology/surgery
Aortic Valve Insufficiency/*drug therapy/*immunology/surgery
Cardiac Surgical Procedures
Hearing Loss, Sensorineural/etiology/surgery
Immunity, Cellular/drug effects/immunology
Immunosuppressive Agents/*therapeutic use
Lymphocyte Activation/drug effects/immunology
Polychondritis, Relapsing/*complications/*drug therapy/physiopathology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRheumatol Int. 2010 Apr;30(6):827-8. Epub 2009 Dec 18.
AbstractRelapsing polychondritis (RP) is a rare disorder, often requiring high doses of immunosuppressive therapy to control its potentially life-threatening consequences. The advent of biological agents has added to the armamentarium available to treat RP, but the lack of controlled trials, along with the small numbers of patients and disease heterogeneity means that new therapies are prescribed without the benefits of rigorous clinical research. Thus, information on individual cases is of value in expanding our knowledge of the use of biologic agents in rare conditions. We report on the use of rituximab in a patient who subsequently developed catastrophic aortic incompetence, and we review the literature in relation to the use of this drug in RP.
- Treatment of relapsing polychondritis with rituximab: a retrospective study of nine patients.
- Authors: Leroux G, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Brihaye B, Cohen-Bittan J, Amoura Z, Haroche J, Limal N, Bletry O, Piette JC
- Issue date: 2009 May 15
- Successful treatment of aortic root dilatation in a patient with relapsing polychondritis.
- Authors: Sharma A, Mittal T, Kumar S, Law AD, Wanchu A, Mahajan R, Bambery P, Singh S
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Relapsing polychondritis in childhood--case report and short review.
- Authors: Knipp S, Bier H, Horneff G, Specker C, Schuster A, Schroten H, Lenard HG, Niehues T
- Issue date: 2000
- Relapsing polychondritis: new therapeutic strategies with biological agents.
- Authors: Buonuomo PS, Bracaglia C, Campana A, El Hachem M, Diociaiuti A, Insalaco A, De Benedetti F, Testa BC, Cortis E, De Vincentiis GC, Ugazio AG
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Successful treatment of relapsing polychondritis with infliximab.
- Authors: Richez C, Dumoulin C, Coutouly X, Schaeverbeke T
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct