Hospital-acquired pneumonia after lung resection surgery is associated with characteristic cytokine gene expression.
Lawless, Matthew W
O'Dwyer, Michael J
Doherty, Derek G
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, St. James Hospital, and, Deparmtent of Clinical Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 8, Ireland., email@example.com
Gene Expression Regulation/*physiology
Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/genetics/metabolism
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChest. 2011 Mar;139(3):626-32. Epub 2010 Sep 9.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Infection in humans has been linked with altered cytokine gene transcription. It is unclear whether this phenomenon is a consequence of an established disease process or precedes the infective process. The primary end point of this study was to determine whether hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) was associated with differential gene expression of interferon (IFN)-gamma, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, and IL-23p19. The secondary end point was to identify whether alteration in gene expression preceded the clinical onset of infection. METHODS: Sixty consecutive patients undergoing elective thoracic surgery were recruited. HAP was diagnosed as per National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance guidelines. Messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein levels were analyzed preoperatively and 24 h and 5 days postoperatively. RESULTS: Forty-one patients had an uncomplicated recovery. Nineteen patients developed HAP. IL-6, IL-10, IL-12p35, IL-23p19, IL-27p28, TNF-alpha, and IFN-gamma mRNA and protein levels of IL-6, IL-23, and IFN-gamma in peripheral blood leukocytes were analyzed before surgery and 24 h and 5 days postsurgery. IL-23p19 mRNA levels were reduced in the pneumonia group (median, 4.19; 10th-90th centile range, 3.90-4.71) compared with the nonpneumonia group (4.50; 3.85-5.32) day 1 postsurgery (P=02). IFN-gamma mRNA levels were reduced in the pneumonia group (2.48; 1.20-3.20) compared with nonpneumonia group (2.81; 2.10-3.26) (P=03) day 5 postsurgery. Results are expressed as log to base 10 copy numbers of cytokine mRNA per 10 million beta-actin mRNA copy numbers. All values are given as median and 10th to 90th centile range. CONCLUSIONS: Cytokine gene expression is altered immediately following surgery in patients with postoperative HAP.
- Quantitative gene expression of cytokines in peripheral blood leukocytes stimulated in vitro: modulation by the anti-tumor nerosis factor-alpha antibody infliximab and comparison with the mucosal cytokine expression in patients with ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Moriconi F, Raddatz D, Ho NA, Yeruva S, Dudas J, Ramadori G
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Interferon (IFN)-gamma , tumor necrosis factor-alpha , interleukin-6, and IFN-gamma receptor 1 are the major immunological determinants associated with post-kala azar dermal leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Ansari NA, Ramesh V, Salotra P
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 1
- Expression of inflammatory genes in the colon of ulcerative colitis patients varies with activity both at the mRNA and protein level.
- Authors: Verma R, Verma N, Paul J
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Sep
- Interferon-gamma, interleukin-4 and transforming growth factor-beta mRNA expression in multiple sclerosis and myasthenia gravis.
- Authors: Link J
- Issue date: 1994
- Sex-determined susceptibility and differential IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha mRNA expression in DBA/2 mice infected with Leishmania mexicana.
- Authors: Satoskar A, Alexander J
- Issue date: 1995 Jan