AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmic Surgery, The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital,, Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Sep;180(3):749-52. Epub 2009 Jun 3.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To report a case of successful drainage of a large pre-macular haemorrhage using laser photo-disruption of the posterior hyaloid membrane. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A case report. RESULTS: A 47-year-old man presented acutely to our emergency department complaining of a 24-h history of sudden onset, painless and persistent loss of vision in his left eye. Immediately before noticing this loss of vision, he had been vomiting violently from excessive alcohol intake. The left visual acuity was counting fingers. Dilated fundoscopy of the left eye revealed a large pre-macular haemorrhage which was 14 disc diametres in size. Clotting investigations were normal. A diagnosis of valsalva retinopathy was made and the patient elected to receive a prompt neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet (Nd:YAG) laser posterior hyaloidotomy as an outpatient. At 1 week follow-up, the haemorrhage had drained completely into the vitreous space revealing a healthy macula and the visual acuity had improved to 6/12 unaided. At 6-month follow-up the left visual acuity stabilised at 6/9 unaided. CONCLUSION: Nd:YAG laser posterior hyaloidotomy is a useful outpatient procedure for successful clearance of large pre-macular haemorrhages that offers patients rapid recovery of visual acuity and the avoidance of more invasive intraocular surgery.
- Nd:YAG laser hyaloidotomy in the management of Premacular Subhyaloid Hemorrhage.
- Authors: Khadka D, Bhandari S, Bajimaya S, Thapa R, Paudyal G, Pradhan E
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 18
- Iatrogenic parafoveal macular hole following Nd-YAG posterior hyaloidotomy for premacular haemorrhage.
- Authors: Bypareddy R, Chawla R, Azad SV, Takkar B
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 23
- Nd:YAG membranotomy for sub-inner limiting membrane hemorrhage: a case report.
- Authors: Jaime L, Javier L, Nicolás RV, Diego B, Carlos AC
- Issue date: 2021 Jan-Mar
- Nd:YAG laser treatment for Valsalva premacular hemorrhages: 6 month follow up : alternative management options for preretinal premacular hemorrhages in Valsalva retinopathy.
- Authors: Khan MT, Saeed MU, Shehzad MS, Qazi ZA
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Traumatic subhyaloid macular hemorrhage with complete resolution following Neodymium-Doped Yttrium Aluminium Garnet Laser.
- Authors: Alarfaj MA, Hasen AA, Al-Yami SS
- Issue date: 2018 Mar