AffiliationRoyal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. Noel.Horgan@rveeh.ie
Tomography, Optical Coherence
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCurr Opin Ophthalmol. 2010 May;21(3):233-8.
JournalCurrent opinion in ophthalmology
AbstractPURPOSE OF REVIEW: Radiation maculopathy is a sight-limiting consequence of radiotherapy in the management of uveal melanoma and other intraocular tumors. In this review, we consider clinical, fluorescein angiographic and optical coherence tomographic findings, propose a classification for radiation maculopathy and discuss the management of this condition. RECENT FINDINGS: Radiation macular edema (RME) can be classified by optical coherence tomography into noncystoid or cystoid edema, with foveolar or extrafoveolar involvement. Optical coherence tomographic grading of RME has been found to correlate with visual acuity. Focal argon laser might have some limited benefit in the treatment of RME. Intravitreal triamcinolone and intravitreal antivascular endothelial growth factor agents can be of short-term benefit in the treatment of RME. In a randomized controlled trial, periocular triamcinolone significantly reduced rates of RME and vision loss up to 18 months following plaque radiotherapy for uveal melanoma. SUMMARY: Currently, there is no proven treatment for established RME, though periocular triamcinolone has been shown to have a preventive benefit. An accepted classification system for radiation maculopathy would be of benefit in planning and comparing future treatment trials.
- Periocular triamcinolone for prevention of macular edema after plaque radiotherapy of uveal melanoma: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Horgan N, Shields CL, Mashayekhi A, Salazar PF, Materin MA, O'Regan M, Shields JA
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Treatment of radiation retinopathy following plaque brachytherapy for choroidal melanoma.
- Authors: Wen JC, McCannel TA
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Early macular morphological changes following plaque radiotherapy for uveal melanoma.
- Authors: Horgan N, Shields CL, Mashayekhi A, Teixeira LF, Materin MA, Shields JA
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Periocular triamcinolone for prevention of macular edema after iodine 125 plaque radiotherapy of uveal melanoma.
- Authors: Horgan N, Shields CL, Mashayekhi A, Teixeira LF, Materin MA, O'Regan M, Shields JA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- PARAFOVEAL CAPILLARY DENSITY AFTER PLAQUE RADIOTHERAPY FOR CHOROIDAL MELANOMA: Analysis of Eyes Without Radiation Maculopathy.
- Authors: Say EA, Samara WA, Khoo CT, Magrath GN, Sharma P, Ferenczy S, Shields CL
- Issue date: 2016 Sep