Selective fine needle aspiration of parotid masses. FNA should be performed in all patients older than 60 years.
AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear, Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell/epidemiology/*secondary
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Laryngol Otol. 2010 Sep;124(9):975-9. Epub 2010 May 25.
JournalThe Journal of laryngology and otology
AbstractOBJECTIVES: The exact role of fine needle aspiration in the pre-operative assessment of patients presenting with parotid masses is controversial. Some surgeons propose that fine needle aspiration be performed only selectively in those patients with likely malignant disease, whilst others recommend it for all patients presenting with such a mass. Intuitively, one would expect older patients to be more likely to suffer from primary malignant parotid tumours and secondary deposits of malignant skin tumours. Therefore, we hypothesised that older patients with a parotid mass should undergo fine needle aspiration regardless of their medical history. DESIGN: We retrospectively reviewed 197 consecutive parotidectomies to test this hypothesis. RESULTS: One hundred and twenty-one patients (61.4 per cent) were diagnosed with benign disease, whilst 76 (38.6 per cent) were diagnosed with malignant disease. Eighty-three per cent of patients aged 60 years or younger had benign disease, as opposed to 35.6 per cent of patients aged more than 60 years. Malignant disease occurred more commonly in patients older than 60 years (odds ratio 8.962, 95 per cent confidence interval 4.607-17.434). CONCLUSION: In patients with a parotid mass, fine needle aspiration should be performed on all those aged 60 years or older.
- [Sensitivity and specificity of fine needle aspiration biopsy in parotid masses].
- Authors: Uğuz MZ, Onal HK, Eroğlu OO, Etit D
- Issue date: 2007
- [Evaluation of the fine needle aspiration biopsy in the presurgical diagnosis of tumors of the parotid gland].
- Authors: Altuna Mariezkurrena X, Gorostiaga Aznar F, Zulueta Lizaur A, Algaba Guimerá J
- Issue date: 2006
- Clinicopathological analysis of parotid masses: six-year experience of a tertiary center.
- Authors: Yazici D, Guney Z, Coktu MY, Yildirim I, Arikan OK
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- [An evaluation of parotid gland masses].
- Authors: Yaşar H, Ozkul H, Verim A, Ilhan E, Kökten N, Dereci G
- Issue date: 2007
- Parotid surgery: review of 107 tumors (1990-2002).
- Authors: Ferreira PC, Amarante JM, Rodrigues JM, Pinho CJ, Cardoso MA, Reis JC
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug